Sunday, January 29, 2017

This is not what I thought I was getting

Before I go on with the story, I want to tell you something that happened when I got my second full size power chair in 1991. I had asked a vendor I met if he had a power chair that was set up for a customer and was refused or did not work out. I asked if he would be willing to let me have it for what Medicare would pay. He said he had a chair he thought would work for me.. When I saw it, it had most of what I wanted. The seat was rigid and I was afraid it might be uncomfortable. But I rationalized that I could purchase a cushion. The vendor told me the chair as it was was worth $5600. He told me he would take the $3700 that Medicare would pay for it.**This was BEFORE I moved to a nursing home. I told him yes and got the chair. It worked well until after it was five years old.

Back to new power chair story…

One thing he told me was that I did not need a power chair with armrests that flipped up. They were just starting to make manual chairs with flip up armrests. He told me that would not work for me and to remind future vendors about that. That interesting fact had a lot to do with the rest of this story.asked

The tech said he would take the chair and work on the problem of adapting the joystick. I told him I needed some type of adjustable bracket for the joystick that would allow it to be moved up or down, right or left, forward and back. The tech seemed to only half listen to me. He headed toward a facility exit with the power chair.

I wondered what he would do to fix things.

No comments:

Post a Comment