Saturday, February 25, 2017

Another strange weather day


Yesterday it was a balmy 77° in this part of Ohio. That is such a rarity in February. But we are into our second week of pretty good weather.

I knew we would pay up for it. The weather said a storm was due, maybe even a thunderstorm. It came with a vengeance last night after supper.

I was using my laptop as the initial flash of lightning and crash of thunder arrived. I had closed my eyes a bit. At my condo there were many power failures. The same was true at my first nursing home 18 miles away. I never used to be as afraid of storms as I am now.

As the sky flashed, I tried to read and ignore the storm. Before long my nurse came in and gave me my meds. A few minutes later the aides came in to get me ready for sleep.

It was before 9 PM and I was still wide awake. The storm was to blame, I just could not relax.

My night's sleep was interrupted. While my earplugs blocked the noise, the lightning still flashed. I could hear the dull thud of thunder rumbling the earth.

It was not an easy night to sleep. The heat was on pretty high and my air conditioner stayed on all night – though it was on low.

I think I got to sleep sometime after 1:30 a.m. I was frustrated and tired but could not relax and sleep.

I found out during the night that the storm lasted 2 1/2 hours.

As I went to the dining room for breakfast, I looked out the front door. The western sky was purplish black as far as I could see. There was quiet, I knew a storm was approaching. Any minute I thought I would see a funnel cloud touching down. Even though that was a scary thought, I could not take my eyes off the sky. I sat in the back dining room and watched it. Its blackness was intense.

At breakfast I heard another resident say the storm interrupted her sleep.

When I came down to lunch, it was snowing hard. They were large flakes blowing sideways and coming down quickly. The temperature was about 30° – quite a drop from yesterday.

I sat in the back dining room and watched the snow swirling at an angle. Even though there was a lot of it initially, it disappeared when it hit the warm ground.

This building is unbelievably hot today. The maintenance man had to stop in to adjust the thermostat. Some of the residents must have been very uncomfortable.

My room is so warm that I have a fan blowing on me. However, the weather outside is cold.

For this February Saturday the weather was the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment