Monday, February 20, 2017

Getting a hair trim


For 14 1/2 years I lived in a nursing home that had a beauty salon. For a while we had a cosmetologist come in several days a week and do the residents hair. Many of the ladies went every week. Of course, I tried to make appointments. Sometimes that did not work out. At times I went out to a salon when I had the ability to do so.

But usually I could work something out. I used to get my hair colored every two months or so and usually between the cosmetologist and the aides it was colored. Not too much of my gray was ever showing.

I moved to my present nursing home over six years ago. There is no salon here. So ever since I came I have been going out to get my hair cut, colored, or permed. I would go to regular beauty salons. At times I went to the beauty training academy here in town. They have lower prices but it takes longer. However, at times, I enjoyed a day out getting prettied up.

Perms are always a pain at the academy. If I wanted to get a short, curly perm, it could take up to five hours. There was a lot of waiting involved. Usually at a more pricey salon it took less time. I started to wonder if getting a perm was worth it. I thought the same about hair color.

For a while this nursing home had a licensed cosmetologist working as an activity assistant. So she could cut, color, and perm our hair. She did not charge a fee but we provided whatever she needed i.e. perm or haircolor. But, no one could run it in the ground. So I tried not to color too often. That made me self-conscious. Sometimes the activity director (who is not a cosmetologist – licensed or otherwise) would cut and color my hair. She just happens to be good at it like some people are.

Over a year ago the activity assistant/cosmetologist left. Since then, the activity director periodically cuts hair.. Sometimes the residents can look pretty shaggy before she gets to them. There are about 48 residents here. That's a a lot of hair to take care of.

There is one older male resident here who has not had his hair n many months. He his balding on the top but the back is flowing in semi-curled locks down past the nape of his neck. He has a bit of dementia and still thinks his doctor, located in another town, is going to cut his hair. So, I wonder how long it will get before someone talks him into getting it cut..

We have a female resident who came here with pure white cheek length hair. Now it is way down past her shoulders. I don't think it's been cut for two years. Maybe she likes her hair long and it was cut because she was coming to a nursing home. I don't know. But I would think getting it cut would make her feel better.

It's too bad no one can donate haircutting services to the nursing home residents. But I guess no training school or beauty academy can do that. These people could not afford much to get a haircut. That is why it is almost impossible to find a cosmetologist who would come in here and do it. We might be able to get a student who just graduated from a beauty school to come in for a known amount – say $100 for as many as 10 or so haircuts. But I don't think residents could afford much more than $5 a haircut. They only get $50 a month if they have Social Security Disability Income. If they do not, they get less.

I say this because I went out today with my sister and got my hair trimmed. I don't really like to do it when my sister's here. But since that is an opportunity to get out, I had it done. I have to say I feel so much better. My hair looks and feels better too

It's too bad that other residents here cannot have the same experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment