Thursday, February 2, 2017

Bashing my shin!

So… I had been using the new power chair on my own for over a week. I wanted to go out again to see if things were getting any better. I figured there was a learning curve and that I was trying very hard to master using this new chair and its joystick in a totally different way.

I called my friend Mike and asked him if he would take me out on June 22 to get a perm at a salon. He told me yes and we planned it.

On that morning, I made it into my van okay and out again. But, Mike was having family problems. His mother-in-law was in declining health – at age 90. I was empathizing with him and feeling kind of sad when I entered the beauty salon.

I was surprised to find that there were only two stylists there. Normally they have three. I had to wait a bit. But it was not that long.

The manager, who usually does my perms, had me that day. But it was not a good day for her. Apparently, the owner of the salon had cut back on the number of stylists working on that day. So she had my perm to do along with phone answering, etc.

I didn't think it would be that difficult. My hair was longer. But without an extra stylist working, I knew there was no possibility that if two of them were free, they could put my hair in perm rods faster. I had no hope of making this perm process get finished sooner.

I got there about 10:30 a.m. and she began probably 40 minutes later. While she was wrapping my perm the manager kept making and receiving phone calls. I knew she was calling the company and complaining about the fact that she needed another stylist. That made me a bit anxious and unsettled.

We had quite a time getting my power chair up to the shampoo bowl. This new power chair's controller box was on the upper right back of the chair and in the way. We had to put a plastic bag over it and tie it so it would not get wet. I felt horrible for the stylist. It meant more work for her.. Also the bracket that the controller is attached to sticks out about 4 inches on the back. That made it difficult to get close enough to the shampoo bowl. We had extra vinyl capes on me and towels to keep me from getting wet.

Besides that, it was warm outside and the salon air conditioner must've been on 60°. I was getting really chilly. The wetter my hair was the chillier I got.

I got through the perm part. Then I sat and waited for it to process. I decided not to move around the salon much. It seemed like the styling chairs were pretty close together. I think my previous power chair was more narrow and could make it down the aisleways easier. However, I may just have been missing the power chair I was used to.

Finally I got rinsed and it was after 12:30 p.m. I was getting thirsty and had been hungry.

The stylist trimmed my hair, put some mousse in it, and dried it just a bit. Then I told her I really had to leave. I explained that we had to get lunch and get back to the nursing home. My friend Mike had an almost 80 mile drive back home.

I turned to head up the aisle to leave. I felt one of the smaller casters bump the pedestal on the salon chair. I tried to move the joystick to my left to get free of it. When I did, my hand moved and the joystick got pushed to the right instead. I went plowing towards the salon chair and hit it full force with my shin. It was hurting really badly. But I could not move my hand to back up. I called for Mike to turn off the chair and put it in freewheel mode and pull me backwards. He did that pretty quickly but I was already hurt.

I didn't make a sound but tears were rolling down my cheeks. I wanted to scream but there were a lot of customers and the two stylists looking at me. Mike asked if I wanted to go to the ER. I asked him to do range of motion on my leg and knee so we could try to tell if I broke anything. He ranged my knee and I did not scream. I told him it must not be broken.

I so wished I had stopped into the nearby grocery store and bought a bag of frozen peas and an ace bandage. I could have bandaged my shin and maybe prevented some swelling.

Instead we headed up the stripmall walkway to an Italian place. We got pizza and salad and ate. We were both very thirsty and hungry.

As I sat there, I could feel my left shin and knee swelling under my stretchy jeans. I hoped I was not hurt badly. But I also thought I was probably in shock.

After we ate, I headed to the parking lot. Surprisingly, I seemed to get through it pretty well. We headed back to the nursing home.

When I got there, Mike came in with me. After he gave me my receipts, he left. I had to sit for a while and wait for the aids to be available to help me.

When they finally came, I told them I did not know if I could stand. I told them I did not think that my knee/shin or broken. But I was in no way sure of that.

They were able to help me stand and I could transfer. After I got in bed, my leg started to throb. It was the beginning of the long night to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment