Saturday, March 18, 2017

A bad food day


I'm supposed to be able to get the whole meal from dietary each evening if I want it. Some nights I get it, and most nights I don't.

Since we have fewer aides, the food from dietary has been cold. Most of dietary's food is not good enough to eat cold. But sometimes the comfort food like Johnny Marzetti is okay. Some aides endeavor to get here right after supper when the food is still warm..

But tonight it was after smoke break before my tray got to me. I think the nurses could help with smoke break so I could get a tray that would be warm. I would think my aide would want to heat it before she brought it to me. But this month, since staffing has been short that has not happened.

I don't want to "get in the habit" of eating the whole meal every night. I need to curtail my calories or I will end up gaining weight. The nights the food was cold I did not eat as much of it. I guess cold food is a deterrent to me over eating.

Today's food was really not up to snuff. Lunch was baked potato soup which has a yellow cheese in it, which I do not eat, and pea salad. They had an ice cream cup for dessert. The only protein in the lunch was the bacon in the pea salad. I saw the pea salad other residents had, and there was little bacon in it.

After breakfast, when I saw what was for lunch, I asked my nurse if she could ask if dietary could give me some protein. Dietary said that was all they were having. The cook said I could bring peanut butter or whatever to add to my lunch. I asked my nurse if I could bring a 3 ounce can of tuna from my cupboard. She said that was fine.

Because of the lack of protein, I emailed the nurse manager, even though it's the weekend, to let her know how little protein was in lunch. I told her my nurse gave me the okay to add a 3 ounce can of my tuna. I asked dietary for a piece of bread and a pack of mayonnaise to put with the tuna to make a sandwich.

At lunch when my tray came I had very runny vegetable soup (the backup), a side serving of veggies, and one piece of bread. I asked one of the aides to get me another piece of bread to put in my soup and a pack of mayonnaise. When she brought it, my aide put the mayonnaise on the tuna, mixed it and made a sandwich with one piece of bread. She broke up the other piece of bread and put it into the vegetable soup. I had her add the side of veggies to the soup. Putting the bread and extra veggies really cold the soup. But, after having veggies and bread the soup was still runny and difficult for my aide to feed to me.

I managed to get that lunch in me. Adding tuna made it a bit more filling. I ate applesauce for dessert, which did not make me feel full.

This afternoon, after a less than lovely lunch, I asked my aide to bring me the vegetable lasagna and veggie side dietary was serving for supper. When they did not bring it around 6 PM, I wondered if it would end up being cold.

When the aide arrived with my tray, I asked if the food was warm. She said it felt warm. I asked her if she nuked it and she said she hadn't.

I tried the vegetable lasagna and it was stone cold. The veggie side was even colder. That vegetable lasagna was horrible cold. I told my aide I was sorry I could not eat it.

I had her get a two pack of granola bars which I ate with a couple of pieces of dried fruit, I have been my cupboard.

Though I probably had enough to eat, I do not feel full. There was also not much that was comforting about eating granola bars.

But my diet will probably be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment