Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A change in dining room seating


For three years I have been eating at the same table in the dining room. In 2014, they moved me out of the assisted dining room where most people need help to eat, or need to be fed. I didn't like eating there because one male resident has anger outbursts and sometimes throws his food. A couple of times I've worn it afterwards. Though it may sound funny, it's not really easy for a quadriplegic to change her clothing, even with help. So I wanted out of there and three years ago I got out.

But, we have residents who have had problems eating. Sometimes I think their medicines are all messed up when they get here. Often, during the transition to other meds, residents are not able to eat much and need a great deal of assistance. It's so sad. I feel bad enough needing to be fed. Then, I see residents who are so weak they don't even act like they enjoy food.

Anyway nursing management decided that my table would be put right smack dab in the middle of the assisted dining room. One thing about it that back dining room is bright and airy. We can see the view of a neighborhood and the street in front of the nursing home. Unfortunately, there's hardly any traffic except for the morning usual's:, school buses and trash trucks.

But, at least this morning I got to see a robin sitting on a wrought-iron fence near the front door. It's the first one I've seen this spring. To me spring's first robin is a sign of good luck and better weather.

The seating changed when I went to lunch. At least where the table is now, four people can definitely fit. There also is better access. Before, the table was beside two walls and was a bit inconvenient..

I made the comment that I think the back dining room will be quite warm during the summer. There is not much air-conditioning back there. Also, there are no blinds on the large windows, which could make it very sunny during parts of the day. I just hope someone remembers to get a fan for back there. Any fan would be welcome, but a tower fan would be the best to move air around. There used to be a ceiling fan. But it was removed over a year ago. I missed that ceiling fan last summer on the warmer days.

Because since that dining room is brighter, the residents may feel more awake. The main dining room is darker, and some residents put their heads on the table and nod off before they are served.

I heard a lot more conversation in the back dining room today. They put a female resident with memory problems across from me. She seemed to enjoy bantering back and forth. In the previous seating arrangement, she was beside me, not across from me.

I've always heard that a change of perspective in almost anything is good. Perhaps our dining room seating change will give us a more positive perspective during meal times.

No comments:

Post a Comment