Friday, March 17, 2017

Partying hearty


I went out with a friend shopping and two lunch, and we got back to the nursing home sooner than I expected. I was going down to 2 PM snack, when I realized there was St. Patrick's Day party for the residents. I went down to the dining room door to see what was going on. They had food stacked up on a cart. As I got closer, I realized that they were maybe going to sell "snacks and pop" to the residents to have over the weekend. But I also knew they would also give them free snacks for the party. I wanted to see what they were serving.

The free food appeared to be: green cupcakes, maybe two kinds of ice cream, cookies, chips, pop, and 3% green beer. At least that's what I saw. I left when I realized I could not get to an empty table in the dining room because there were so many residents in one corner of the room. I went through the back way. I ended up sitting back there and talking with a fairly new resident who is quite upset about being here. I tried to sit and just listen to him. I know it's frustrating to put somewhere against your will.

An aide came back and got me an artificially sweetened Kool-Aid and about five potato chips. I just wanted to fit in with the crowd but not eat that much. I ate and drank my little bit of cheer and said I headed back to my room.

There were still plenty of residents in the dining room when I left. I think the food had been put away. The residents were just finishing up what they already had. I know the staff all went down and got goodies also.

As I went up the hallway the nurse manager asked me if I had anything to eat. I told her I had five or six potato chips. She said, "That's not much". I told her I know that but I had just eaten lunch. I said, "I do not want to gain weight and end up being back at 214 pounds like I was when I came".

I feel sorry for the residents here. It would be nice if they could be playing a game and maybe occasionally eating. But this feasting is way too much. I lived in a different nursing home and most of the residents there did not eat that much food. There were some, mostly younger males, who ordered out frequently to get the kind of food they liked. But still, they could only do it when they had money, not every night. I really don't think the residents here should be spending their entire personal expense allocation of $50 a month on snack food and "order in food". But, it looks like they are.

I know it took time to clean up the party remains after the residents were finished. It's too bad they can't let the able-bodied residents help with the cleanup. I don't think it would hurt anything, and it might actually make them feel like they were contributing.

St. Patrick's Day celebrating is over for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment