Thursday, March 9, 2017

You're getting a roommate


I don't how many times I've been told that I would be getting a new roommate. Usually I hear about it the day before. But several months ago I was told I'd get a roommate in an hour sick I'm glad she gets to make it tomorrow.. So I have learned to always be prepared. Ever since I became disabled at 19, I have lived with my bags packed – mentally. I knew any situation could put me into a hospital or nursing home. It may sound weird, but living with my bags packed mentally keeps me on my toes. It makes me ready for almost anything. It does not allow me to become complacent or comfortable no matter where I am.

I realize I live in a building owned by somebody else. Yes, they do healthcare. But they do it for a fee. That is a different perspective than paying rent. We don't have the luxury of being able to purchase contents insurance. Of course, even if we could buy some type of contents insurance, it would have a deductible. That deductible would not cover the small things (those under $100) that go missing or get broken.

Anyway back to the roommate scenario, I live in one half of a semi private room. But, my things have encroached onto the other half. I don't really do this, the aides do. They put things on the other bed. Sometimes it's new clothing I have purchased or received as a gift. The closet is not extensive enough to hang everything. I know, I know I should just put these unopened packages in some type of a sealed plastic bag beside my closet, and keep them until I need them. That's what I'd like to do, if the aides had time. Even though I like to live with my bags packed, not is difficult to do when I need someone to help me. I constantly think for new ways to coordinate it.

I have to keep improving the plan. The clothing plan often goes awry because of laundry and there coordination of our off-season clothing. If I saw everything go into clear storage bags, I could probably find it. But once it's out of my hands, it's gone.

I also think nursing home residents intentionally hoard. But that does not make it bad.. When you live in a facility, and you run out of something, you're out. There is not much you can do to replace it. Residents have to wait until a staffer goes shopping to get what we are out of – if we don't have family or friends to get it. I do have family. But, my sister is too far away to do much very quickly.

I've had so many almost nervous breakdowns because I was told about a roommate coming, anywhere from an hour later, to that afternoon, or the next day, that I try to let the sound of that phrase roll off my back.. To defray the onslaught of the roommate coming, I remind nursing home staff that my things, which were placed on the other bed, will need to be stored. I try valiantly to keep the pile down over there. But, it's so convenient to put things on the other bed, and leave them there. Storage is scarce in nursing home rooms, and I don't have other options.

I was told today the perspective roommate uses a wheelchair. I reminded the aide there is not enough room for two women who use wheelchairs all the time to be in this room. Now maybe if the roommate used a wheelchair for longer trips, outside the room, it might work. Since I need assistance to transfer in and out of my power wheelchair, the roommate would need to be able to walk. At least, those are the kind of roommates I have had in the past.

I heard later today that another female resident is leaving tomorrow. She is up the hall a few doors. She has wanted to get out of here every since she came in December. The new resident may go in that room room. But I won't know until tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm going to stay with the plan to minimize my things on the other bed. I will need to do a lot of encouraging and cajoling of the staff. I will also have to speak to management so that appropriate staff assist me. There is bureaucracy in a nursing home, but I'm used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment