Sunday, July 16, 2017

30 day Notice of Involuntary Discharge


Tuesday I had an upsetting day and ended up making circles in the empty front lobby out of frustration. It was too hot, I was in pain, and the nurse practitioner would not prescribe additional pain relievers. The back dining room was too hot and I left to go somewhere that was cooler.

While turning circles in the front lobby I accidentally hit the old phone booth on the wall and there was a creak. I thought I hit my backpack. But, I hit the power chair controller and it ended up on the floor, even though it was still functional. The bracket was broken.

I was sent to the ER for a psych eval. But the ER doctor decided I did not need one. I returned to the facility several hours later.

The next day I was not allowed to use my power chair. I guess they were afraid I would try to use it as a weapon. I don't think I was doing that but they have a different perspective.

Wednesday afternoon, at around 3 PM, the administrator and nurse manager came in and explained that, due to my actions, they were giving me a 30 Day Notice of Involuntary Discharge Letter. I tried just briefly to protest but everyone walked out of my room and just left me. I wondered how they could do that.

They said they had secured a bed for me at a nursing home about 60 miles southeast of here, closer to where I used to live. Four years ago I went to see that nursing home but decided against going there. The facility did not have the right feel, and the semi-private rooms were too small. There was also no outside secured space where I could go and be safe without having a nurses aide with me. I was looking for that specifically because it is not available there.

So I applied to the Department of Health for a Hearing on the Involuntary Discharge. It is necessary to do that within ten days of receiving the letter. I emailed a letter to my sister, who will mail it certified mail, return receipt requested, soon.

I just can't believe that I may have to move. This facility gave me another Involuntary Discharge Letter in the summer of 2013. I had a hearing then and the decision was in my favor. So, I did not have to leave. But the administrator had made an error in the letter back then. That factor assisted me to prevail at the hearing.

This time the administrator has written: I'm being discharged because I'm a danger to others.

Today I had to tell a friend about it. I think she thought I was kidding, but I wasn't. It's very hard to explain that my frustration blew up to something big enough for them to want me out of here.

***

There will be other entries about this Involuntary Discharge Letter interspersed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment