Wednesday, July 12, 2017

What about the psych eval?


Yesterday was a kerfuffle from the beginning to the end.

It was supposed to be a hot day and in this nursing home that makes for an uncomfortable environment that is summer toasty, humid, and rife for outbursts and conflagration.

But it wasn't until lunch that I had a problem. As soon as I went out the door at 12 noon I knew I was going to be way too hot. I just felt like a big humid cloud grabbed me, and started to hug with vengeance, and would not stop. I wish I would've said something then.

I headed to the dining room. It was warm because the residents were in and out all morning on the patio. It was muggy and hot even with the box fan blowing.

Then, the nurse practitioner came to see me. I thought it would be helpful and it wasn't. She was being very difficult and unflinching about allowing me one (regular strength) Tylenol or ibuprofen a day for the pain my splints are causing. She was pretty much in my face. I asked who I could appeal to and she gave me no alternative. I even wanted to see another doctor and she refused to refer me. I just didn't know what she was thinking. I certainly did not threaten her I would not think..

I went back to the dining room where my tray had just delivered. I was feeling so hot and I had no appetite. The nurse manager asked me what was up and I told her I keep hitting brick walls everywhere I turn about most of the things I want here. I told her I just can't do it anymore. I asked if I could go to an office to get cooler and got no response.

So, when, I couldn't turn left easily, I started making circles in the open, empty front lobby. Everyone was at lunch. I thought I would turn regular circles. But I was aggravated so I might have spasmed in my hand or something. All of a sudden, the right side of my chair bumped the old payphone on the wall. I heard a creak.. A few minutes later an aide told me my controller was on the floor. The bump apparently broke the bracket it was in.

I was told I was being sent to the ER for a psych eval. When I got there I told my story and explained about my very sore right leg. I asked the doctor if I could get an x-ray and he had it x-rayed. Thankfully, nothing is broken. Maybe he saw his grandmother's eyes in my face. But I saw a kindness about him.

No other medical tests were done. The doctor came in around 4 PM and talked. I asked if I would get a psych eval and he told me I did not need one. He said he knows what goes on at my nursing home.

Then, I was sent back to the facility right in the middle of the supper hour. All my items were locked in an office along with my keys. No one could get into my locked cabinet. I was relegated to a PB&J sandwich and a 4 ounce container of applesauce after not eating or drinking anything since breakfast.

I sort of conned my aides and the nurse to let me use my desktop so I could report the broken part on my power chair to the vendor and manufacturer. They let me but only gave me confined space because I'm in a semi private room. My poor neck was killing me and I could not wear my glasses. I was looking at the screen at so much of an angle – that the lower part of the frame obliterated the touchpad pointer.

I got that email out and an evaluation for repair is coming tomorrow.

It's too bad nursing homes cannot communicate better. It would certainly save them many of the useless times residents are sent to the ER for a timeout.

No comments:

Post a Comment