Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Discharge notice rescinded


Even though Roberta/nurse manager almost told me last Thursday that nothing would come of the 30 day Notice of Involuntary Discharge, I had great difficulty believing her. The only scenario that would not involve a lot of complications would have been if the administrator decided to tear up the discharge letter. I knew about this from my previous actions with facilities over discharge letters. The first time I received one the area ombudsman asked the administrator, within a few days, to rescind it, and she refused.

This time I thought I was in for the fight of my life. I had received another discharge notice in 2013 and was told the same thing back then, that it wouldn't go anywhere. But it went a lot farther. I had to request a hearing, and the hearing was held. The administrative law judge found in my favor. The facility had not drawn up the letter correctly. I always wondered if that was an actual error or if it was an intentional error.

Nevertheless, when the facility threatens involuntary discharge, or actually has given me a letter, they definitely got my attention.

My family and I have been through a week of angst. We were trying to figure out how we would handle me moving. I no longer have my sister living  within 50 miles of me. It would definitely have been much more difficult this time.

I don't think the nursing home has the right to frighten me into better behavior, by serving me with an involuntary discharge notice. To me, a discharge letter is not something that should be used to discipline a resident.

A lot of emails have passed between the ombudsman, me, my family, and friends.

I'm tired of the whole process and feel kind of all in.

Involuntary discharge is another way for a resident to feel powerless.



No comments:

Post a Comment