Saturday, July 15, 2017

My mother's "godmother for me" pick


Growing up Catholic at different times I was taught in Catholic school about godparents and their responsibilities. They are really supposed to be the guardian of the children they sponsor until they are 18 years old. So, most good Catholics try to pick godparents who are mature, settled, and financially able to take care of their godchild if something happened to the godchild's parents. Picking someone in the right age bracket – to serve as a godparent for a long tenure is also something to think about.

My mother was fairly new to being Catholic. Although she had been with my father for several years and was around his large Irish/German Catholic family. I'm sure she got a lot of "basic Catholic training" through osmosis. Even so, she probably had her own ideas. She probably also listened to the Catholic horror stories that were told within my father's family. I'm sure there were children with fine Catholic godparents who were left with no one to care for them after their parent's demise.

I'm also sure there is probably a serendipity factor in the whole thing. My mom and dad were living in their new to them house and pregnant with me. Our next-door neighbors were in their mid-50s and had an adult son who was married. That son and his wife were pretty young – in their early 20s. For some reason, mom picked them to be my godparents. My godmother was 21 and my godfather was a few years older.

Unfortunately, my godfather was killed in an auto accident when I was six years old. My godmother, a mother of one and a registered nurse, became a widow. But through it all she remained my godmother.

I have had an eventful life and so has she. She ended up remarrying and having  a son. Her daughter my best friend, has three children of her own and several grandchildren.

My godmother is now 89 and will turn 90 in October, God willing.

As I looked at her picture taken last week at her youngest granddaughter's wedding, I marveled at my mother's good choice. My godmother is still around and enjoying life at almost 90. While, I, her granddaughter have lived in nursing homes since I was 47 – and am now 68.

I wonder how many Catholic women, at age 68, like me have a godmother who is still living.

I will be 69 in September, a couple of weeks before my godmother's birthday in October.

My mom made a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment