Monday, July 17, 2017

Discharge letter innuendo


I don't think any resident feels good if he or she receives a 30 day Notice of Involuntary Discharge. I don't think anything prepared me for how I'd feel. I'm sure I felt like a wife whose husband had asked for a divorce.

I was very concerned. But I had to carry on anyway. I have things to do, like my writing which I wanted to keep doing. That is important to me. So, I had to pretend everything was okay. Even though I mentioned the discharge letter to some of the aides aides in the beginning, I stopped talking about it like that in.

But it's very hard to live here and not tell the nurses and aides who care for me what is going on. Leaving, no matter the circumstances, is very difficult. It's even difficult for the residents who want to leave.

So I tried to settle back into my center and stay there as long as possible. I guess that's my only guard against the storm swirling around me.

Then, Roberta/nurse manager came in last Thursday evening and told me not to worry too much about the discharge letter. I wondered what she was talking about. She told me nothing would come of it. She reminded me she told me the same thing in 2013 when I got the last discharge letter from here. Except back then, I had to Request a Hearing, prepare for it and attend it. Even though I thought my side was right, that did not mean anything. I still could have lost. If I had, I would've had to move – no matter what.

So I'm prepared for the process to continue. I do object to the fact that certain staff have asked me if I've made any preparations to move. I think I told them no and should not have. But they really have no business asking me anyway.

Today I was at the nurses station getting my meds after lunch. Roberta/nurse manager was there and she asked me if I wanted to move and I said I did not. She told me the discharge letter had not been sent to the Department of Health. I told her when I got the discharge letter a process started. I said I didn't ask the administrator to rescind the letter. I felt that was the responsibility of the ombudsman.I also said that if that is what the administrator intends to do, rescind the letter, then there is a process for that too.

I was partway down the hall when Roberta/nurse manager and Mrs. D/administrator came up to me. Mrs. D said they are going to rescind the letter. But they want me to continue to look for another place to live because some residents are afraid of me because of the power chair circles last week.

I said nothing and moved away. I emailed the ombudsman about what occurred. She called the facility and found that they're rescinding the letter. She wants to know if I want her to send it (the rescind letter) to the Department of Health. I know I would really like to know if it exists – by actually seeing it digitally in my email box.Then, she can send it to the Department of Health.

It's not been a week since the 30 day discharge letter was placed on the table in front of my desktop PC. Although, the last five days have certainly seemed much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment