Thursday, July 13, 2017

The tech and the broken controller


This afternoon the vendor's tech came to take a look at the controller that has a broken bracket.

I was surprised when he told me that the entire controller needed to be replaced. He said they just don't change out the housing for a new one. I said I guess they wouldn't do that if they know they can get Medicaid to my new controller.

Then I asked if he thought they could get me a different controller. I said I'd rather have one with fewer "bells and whistles". This broken controller can be linked to a cell phone through its Bluetooth. That's not something that I'm going to use. So I asked if they could get a less expensive controller and use it as a replacement. He said he would check it out.

I asked if he could turn the controller with the broken covering a bit so would be less likely to be bumped. He repositioned it and took a photo with his cell phone to show me it's a new location. To me it looked like it was in a good position .

He said he will contact Medicaid in order to get the new controller approved for purchase.

Then he left. Unfortunately, later when my aide tried to plug the battery charger cable into the power chair, there was not enough space to allow the charger cable to go in. The controller it is at too much of an angle beside the bracket and it needs to be moved just a bit. I wondered if we could get the controller moved a bit before the weekend.

I called the vendor representative and told her what had happened. She asked me if I would find out if therapy could loosen a couple of screws and move the controller to a better position – more accessible for the charging cable. I told her I could not answer that and would send an email to my therapist and the nurse manager to ask. I sent the email and the nurse manager responded that she thought that therapist might be able to adjust its position.

She said the techs were going to Cincinnati next week. But she said I could call her tomorrow when I find out if therapy can relocate it on the bracket.

I just hope my power chair battery not run out of a charge before we get the controller box repositioned the bracket. Without it being repositioned, my battery can't charge and will go dead. Then, I'll be back in my manual chair until it is moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment