Friday, July 14, 2017

The controller is adjusted


As I wrote yesterday, the tech came and moved the partly damaged controller (which is still functional) to a different, more out-of-the-way position yesterday. Then, the charging port could not be accessed because the controller was at too steep an angle.

I thought how ridiculous the whole scenario was.. That tech should have known better. He should have checked to make sure that the charging port was free so the battery could be charged easily.

I could not believe that the staff here with think that technician would be nearby to return to fix his error the same day. I'm sure he brought screws to reattach the broken controller that the facility did not have to do it themselves. Still, it is difficult to have a technician always available when the vendor (provider of the durable medical equipment) like power chairs, is three hours away. The best they can probably do is plan for him to be in the area maybe every two weeks. The worst-case scenario might be every month. But, a power chair can break at any time.

Nursing home residents who have regular manual wheelchairs occasionally have problems. Medicaid is supposed to have a system where it repairs durable medical equipment if the right paperwork is sent at the right time.

But I do think the nursing home bears some responsibility to assure that resident manual and power chairs are maintained and kept in good working order. However, I do wonder how they plan for that repair.

Yesterday afternoon I was able to contact the vendor representative and she said the nursing home therapy department needed to adjust the controller's position. She knew they were able to do that. I, myself, wondered if anyone would do it because the next day was Friday – getaway day.

I was shocked when I came back from the shower this morning and was told that my power chair was charging. Nobody told me how they managed that. But, I knew that one of the therapists must've come in at 7 AM.

She told me after breakfast that she was able to adjust the controller's position enough to allow the charger cable to be plugged in.

I was surprised that an error in the tech's judgment yesterday was repaired so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment