Saturday, July 8, 2017

Another nursing home weekend


Nursing home weekends our different. After all week, it is weird to have NO managers on the premises on the weekends. The days are much quieter days because there are not as many phone calls or visitors. We also have no therapists, extra nurses, doctors, or x-ray people in the building.

Because the building is so quiet, most residents like to rest. In fact, many spend at least some of the weekend in bed. Of course, there isn't a whole a lot else to do here. The smokers go out seven times a day. Though a few residents go out and sit on the patio. It does not hold very many at one time. Some days, when it's too hot for residents to sit on the patio, they end up in bed sleeping or watching TV.

On weekends there is fewer staff. We have three aides on dayshift instead of the four that we have on weekdays. It's funny because that means the floor aides have to do more. Since there are no activity aides on weekends, the aides or a nurse has to do "morning coffee" and "2 PM snack" along with everything else..

Weekends causes me to do something to stay busy and involved. Otherwise, I start thinking about weekends when I was younger and what used to happen. When I was in school, I waited for the weekend to be able to watch TV, stay up late, or go, to a movie, to a football game, or to a dance. But the one constant was that there would be homework and several hours had to be devoted to it.

I guess that's why I try to write on the weekend – if I can. However, on Saturdays I usually want to do something fun on the Internet. I usually search online for something, a product or service, that I am interested in. Since I read the New York Times on Sunday, I try very hard to stay away from that website on Saturday.

Today I was just filling time by looking on eBay for manicure products. Sometimes I just check out prices. It's interesting to see the different things which are for sale there. Today I was going back and forth between searching on eBay for a product, and searching YouTube for a review of that same product. I'm surprised how many on YouTube do reviews.

There is a lonesome side to weekends. I sort of wish I had someone special to spend them with. But I have no desire to use social media to look for anyone. I also, no longer chat online. When I was new to chat around the year 2000, I used a made up name. But now the Internet is too sophisticated, and I feel I must be more careful.

I guess my "growing up years" weekends always made me feel secure. When I was at home with my parents we were together and there was safeness in that.

I wish I could feel that safe now.

No comments:

Post a Comment