Monday, July 24, 2017

Package opening – not a service here


I've lived in nursing homes for over 21 years. For most of them I have received packages that the nursing home staff had to open. Sometimes activities did it. But if they did not get around do it, the floor aides did it.

Ever since 1999, when I started placing orders online, aides got used to me getting packages. Even though I like to make my purchases in stores. Ordering through the Internet is so easy and fast.

I don't think my sister likes the idea. I think she feels she should bring me the things I need, or send them to me. But since she moved to Florida, that's not really practical.

The problem is I don't always have somebody to put my things away. I also no longer think the black filing cabinet, where I lock things in my room, is safe from being jimmied. I have a feeling that many know how to get into it without a key. That's because a few staff how said they know how to get in it without a key.

This afternoon activities delivered the mineral makeup I ordered the other day when mine was MIA. I never did find out where it went. But I was pretty sure that it was here last Christmas and was locked up where I thought it would be secure. Somehow it wasn't where it was put.

It was laying on my table, still wrapped. I prefer not to unwrap it until it's being put away. I asked my aides if they would help me. They both said they are no longer allowed to open packages for residents. It has to be done by activities.

I asked when this happened and they said months ago. I told them I wished we residents were told when these new rules come down from management.

Then, a bit later another aide came in with my fiber – which I order and give to the nurses to dispense to me. I was going to ask her to open the box, but I didn't..

So, I asked her to give the package to the nurses and let them open it. I told her if everything was intact and not damaged it was okay. I just wanted to make sure in case it had to be returned.

But this aide did not give me a hard time. She took the package to the nurses and later brought back copies of paperwork which were in the box. I told her she could throw them away because I do not need them.

It seems to me that this facility gets more bureaucratic every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment