Saturday, April 22, 2017

A chaotic "assisted feed" dining room


The "assisted feed" dining room is not fun some days. Today everything seemed to be a bit topsy turvey. Icewater wasn't passed before hand and some residents wanted it. My water glasses were set on my table. The resident beside me at the table offered one of my glasses to another resident. An aide quickly grabbed my cup of water away. But, no resident should be given water when the other residents have nothing to drink. I will say something to the aides and nurses tomorrow.

For a while the activity aide fed a resident. Then only one aide was passing trays, was lamenting the fact that she was passing them all by herself. Her coworkers picked up on her protests and and asked the activity aide to help pass trays. Then, the complaining aide promptly disappeared. I guess the activity aide was being "paid back" for feeding a resident instead of doing the harder job of assisting to pass trays first.

Near the end of my meal, John a partially paralyzed, traumatically brain injured resident got impatient waiting to go back to his room. Since he doesn't care much for Holly at my table, he was flipping her off and calling her the B word. Holly has memory loss and couldn't understand why he'd be so rode. As John became more impatient, he managed to scoot his chair closer to Holly. Then, he tried to kick her.

Holly told John his behavior wasn't appropriate. When Holly said that it only intensified John's frustration. He grabbed Holly's walker, picked it up, and I think if he had not been stopped, he would have hit her. That startled her. She could not believe he would be violent. Holly scooted her chair closer to mine. Then, she told me she was leaving. I told her she was not allowed to walk unassisted. Nevertheless, she stood up to leave.

My aide advised her to sit down, which she did. John's shenanigans had everyone talking loudly and had my head spinning. John was taken out.

Meanwhile, I tried to finish quickly so I could leave the dining room, and get away from the confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment