Friday, April 14, 2017

The experiment


Today an afternoon shift aide was scheduled to do my shower routine. She's only ever given me a shower once. K's a nice girl and I like her. But fast she isn't. Speed is something that's usually necessary on dayshift. An aide needs to be good, thorough, and finish quickly. That's difficult for most aides every day. But it's amazing that some aides excel at it.

The one good thing about K is that she doesn't get upset very easily. So she is not steel to my flint. I do not have to worry that she and I will start an explosion together. Maybe she's just extra cautious and probably knows of my somewhat volatile nature. I knew she was sent to dayshift for a reason. She's probably checking it out. In order to know what happens, an aide has to work it. A nursing director walking through to see what's going on, is not quite the same.

Others, like therapy, or the nurses might know how things work. But, it is necessary to get up close and personal with residents to REALLY know.

K said she would be in early. I told her that was helpful. I also said if the other aides did not assist her, I would not be able to get up any earlier. She gave me a puzzled look. I told her, "You'll see in the morning".

It was after 7 AM, by my clock, and my call light was on. K came walking in and asked me where everybody (the aides) was. I told her the aides were elsewhere because they were not in my room like they were supposed to be.

So she went looking and I waited. Pretty soon she came with two other aides and they got me out of bed.

It sort of went this way all day long.

K had to take me to the shower room, do my shower, bring me back, make my bed, and do all the other stuff the dayshift aides do on my shower days. Today we only had three aides. If there had been a fourth possibly that aide could have assisted and coached a little. K can do everything. But, getting used to the flow can be difficult.

In the dining room I could not believe that she was not "all eyes, everywhere" like I am. She seemed oblivious and kept looking at me. I reminded her she needed to check out other residents and pick up things from dietary that were forgotten on the meal trays. I understand that anticipating what others want is difficult. But, if you realize what people forget, and MOST people forget these things, you have something going for you.

K was kind of playing catch-up all day. I bet at the end of the day she felt it. Her demeanor doesn't really allow for others to get aggravated with her. She is not a type A. She does not speak sharply. She speaks quietly and intensely. There is a difference and people can tell. She's got the second shift mindset. It's as if that shift goes at a slightly slower speed.

I suppose not being quite so hyper can have its advantages. She may even see things and observe things that I don't.

But, even though I like K, I would not want to be a type B.

No comments:

Post a Comment