Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Tooth sensitivity


Long before I moved to a nursing home my dentist of many years told me that if I went to a nursing home, my teeth would rot out of my head. I could not believe it. But he assured me that is what happens. When I moved to a nursing home 21 years ago, I wanted to take care of my good teeth. My first cavity was filled at 38.

My teeth have deteriorated some. But that can be blamed on radiation therapy for breast cancer when I was 42. I had my second incidence of breast cancer in 2007 (at 59) and was on Arimidex (chemo) for almost 2 years. I know chemotherapy and radiation have weakened my teeth.

I fractured a tooth in 2008 and it had to be filled and crowned because to repair a broken corner. In 2009 (at 60) I had my third incidence of breast cancer. I had surgery, chemo and 31 radiation treatments. A year after I finished them, an upper, right bicuspid fractured and a root canal was done – my first. Surprisingly that went well. The tooth does not bother me at all.

I was on Faslodex injections (chemo) for breast cancer from 2010 until 2015. In 2014 two cavities were filled the upper left side. I thought those teeth were sensitive from receding gums. But the cavities must've been the corporate. However, after those teeth were filled, they have bothered me a great deal.

Usually when my teeth are sensitive, I use fluoride varnish. Years ago my first Medicaid dentist, gave it to me after he had bonded the front of a couple sensitive teeth. Then, the aides at the nursing home applied it and it lasted from 3 to 6 months.

After that I purchased fluoride varnish on the Internet. The aides applied it to my teeth every 3 to 6 months. All they did was brush my teeth, I'd rinse well, and they would apply the fluoride varnish with the small brush that comes in the packet. It's kind of sticky but it tastes good. If it's applied, right before sleep it sets up well. It may have prevented additional cavities when I was on chemo and radiation. Fluoride varnish greatly helped my tooth sensitivity.

After I moved to this nursing home in 2010, I continued to buy and use fluoride varnish. But my dentist here has not ever recommended fluoride varnish for home use. He usually applies it in the office.

A month ago I saw the dentist for sensitivity in the upper left side of my mouth. He took an x-ray, tapped on my teeth with a metal pick, and when I did not jump; I guess he did not know what to think. He ended up applying fluoride varnish and sending me on my way. He said to call back in two weeks.

I did ask him if he would write a prescription for 5% fluoride varnish so the aides or nurses could apply the varnish I have. But he didn't. Instead, he prescribed a 1.1% fluoride gel to put on my teeth at bedtime, after brushing.

I still wanted to fluoride varnish prescription. Calling his office did not get me very far. So I faxed him a letter a day after my office visit. I've heard nothing since.

But, the tooth sensitivity is staying around. I realize it could be a virus. If it does not go away, I will have to get it checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment