Monday, April 3, 2017

Happenstance caused it


My sister Janice doesn't visit very often, but she's visiting tomorrow. She lives in Florida and gets here maybe every two months, or less. It's unfortunate that I see her so infrequently that her visits take on the air of a head of a foreign government visiting the United States. Her visits definitely seem like affairs of state.

There isn't much getting ready involved. I make sure I have conservative chic down. For me that's a pair of my best pants, including jeans; and a colorful top that does not make me look like more like a potbellied pig than I do any other day. With the right color top my face might not look so much like the barroom pallor I have because I seldom get outdoors.

I made sure I've worn only my older clothing. Isn't that just so silly? But it's springtime in Northeastern Ohio and I cannot be sure what the daytime temperature will be. The high is supposed to be 58°. But, like I said, it's Ohio, nobody knows for sure, not even the weatherman. I will be ready for anything. Except I will not have corduroy pants to wear. They were put away last week.

I didn't tell very many staff here that Janice was visiting. Sometimes I just don't tell. After all, it is my business and nobody else's. That way if something happened, and Janice had to cancel, the staff would not feel they had to make me feel better by saying something. It is interesting if my sister's visit is a surprise. However, with the way things are here, its difficult to surprise staff.

I am glad the weather will not be 30 and snowing. It may actually be halfway decent and dry. I will enjoy getting out, going somewhere else, eating out, breathing the fresh air, and talking to a semi-sane adult over the age of 60. I can remember times when I did not see anyone over that age very often. It wasn't while I was growing up; back then, there were older neighbors living around us.

I miss good conversation. The staff are too busy. None of the residents are much into news, current events, or reading as a pastime. There are a couple you might be interested, but not many.

After I printed my shopping list and coupons for an anticipated shopping trip, and lunch out, one of the aides said I have appointment tomorrow for a mammogram at 2 PM. I told her mammograms are too difficult for me because of quadriplegia, and that I get an ultrasound. I said because Janice is visiting tomorrow, I would like it rescheduled.

Two hours later, I told my nurse I'd like it rescheduled. My sister visits so infrequently that I do not feel she should have to take me to an appointment that could take two hours. I don't want to visit with her and trying to talk about private things in a clinic waiting room.

It was happenstance, the serendipity factor, or maybe Murphy's Law that caused the ultrasound to be coincidentally scheduled the same day of Janice's visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment