Monday, April 17, 2017

Benadryl backlash


During a stressful January (my most unfavorite month), began taking Benadryl before sleep. At first it worked masterfully, and I slept like a top all night.

But I noticed with each succeeding day, it was a bit less effective. I wondered how long it would take before it no longer eased me into dreamland.

The Benadryl also served another purpose, while I was using it, my nose did not run, nor did I have sinus headaches. So I thought taking Benadryl might be win, win, win.

Every night my nurse asked me if I wanted Benadryl, and I said I did.

About a month after I started taking the nightly Benadryl, my teeth sensitivity got worse. I wondered why and thought maybe I had a small sinus infection which my dentist always said caused teeth to hurt. But, when it did not go away, I thought maybe I had a real tooth problem.

I went to see the dentist the first day of March. He took an x-ray and asked me what was up with my teeth. I explained I thought it might be just sensitivity problems. Since the dentist did not say I had a new cavity or needed a root canal, he applied fluoride varnish and I left. He sent along a prescription for desensitizing fluoride gel, which I've used since.

When I was weight in March, the scales said my weight was up 10 pounds. That's a bit weird for me since I have not even gained five pounds in years. I watch my calorie intake and do not deviate very often. I wondered if the scales were off – and needed new batteries. Nevertheless, I wondered if Benadryl was causing fluid retention and – weight gain. I decided to forgo getting weighed the beginning of April.

I cut back on my calories thinking I might be eating more than I thought. Then, I could not get to sleep. I wondered if the insomnia was coming from my emptier than usual stomach. Or, was Benadryl no longer worked as well?

Thinking about stopping Benadryl, made me anxious. I realized that was a sign of psychological addiction. Two years ago my doctor said antihistamines should be taken for two weeks because the body works overtime trying to replenish the moisture antihistamines dry up.

Many tooth sensitivity articles online blamed it on lack of saliva. My mouth was definitely dryer since I started Benadryl. Maybe that's why my sensitivity was worse.

Four days into April I stopped Benadryl. I was surprised the first night because I slept just fine. Three nights later I was still sleeping. Then a nurse accidentally gave me Benadryl, and that night I was out like a light.

A week later I got laryngitis, and still have it. I deduced that my laryngitis might have been caused by two months of Benadryl nightly.

The laryngitis is clearing and soon Benadryl should be completely out of my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment