Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Talks with people I cannot see


When I was told Ruby (pseudonym) was moving in on Monday, I wasn't thrilled. I have not had a roommate since September 2014 and I was not looking forward to it. Besides, Ruby is new. She has only been here for about a month and I know almost nothing about her. Of course, we cannot really ask questions about residents when they arrive. But, we can watch their behavior and try to figure out why they're here.

Ruby has been a puzzle. She does not talk. There have not really been that many outbursts. I think one of the other female residents got into it with Ruby one day which resulted in a disagreement. I think one or both of them lost a smoke break because of it. But I have not observed Ruby hitting anyone or causing trouble. But that does not mean it has not happened.

Ruby is taller than I am and she is ambulatory. She could do most things for herself. Although, I do not think she could do her own personal hygiene that well. But she probably does not want anyone else assisting her with it.

Ruby talks to people that seem to be around her, though I cannot see them. She talks to two children and another adult. I don't know if it's the father figure, significant other, or the children's baby daddy. But I do know she can get quite loud chatting with this group of three. Ruby sounds animated when she's talking, but there's a dead look in her eyes. The features on her face do not change. When she laughs, the laugh is hearty. But, there is no joy in her face. Her face is impenetrable almost like a theatrical mask.

Yesterday before lunch Ruby was talking so loudly and shouting occasionally which caused words to pop up on my screen as I was dictating my writing. I asked Ruby if maybe she could tone down her conversation. I was not mean or condescending, but I had to ask. Ruby thought I was telling her to shut up – when I said words were going on my screen. She may not understand how my computer works, or she may have no empathy that her talking could be causing me problems.

When you come to this facility for people with cognitive behaviors, you get no manual telling you how to deal with other residents with particular mental problems. So, I was forced to use my "fly by the seat of your pants" straightforward, counselor type reaction which I polished through repeated uses. Based on my dealings with previous roommates who occasionally spoke with others I could not see, my approach worked sometimes and sometimes failed miserably.

I don't know if anyone knows how to treat schizophrenics or how to deal with the voices that are inside or outside their heads. It must be very strange to think people are talking to you. It must be similar to the dream state when you feel like things are happening to you. In those dreams sometimes others talk to me. Sometimes they say truths, sometimes lies, and sometimes what they say makes no sense.

Ruby has been out of the room a lot today. I wonder if the folks she talks to her are any quieter out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment