Saturday, April 15, 2017

Dragon acting up


For the last two days Windows 10 on my laptop has wanted to update. But, since I was busy doing other things, I did not let it.

Last night in order to get off the laptop without it updating automatically, my aide unplugged it. I could almost hear the little Windows 10 update thingy saying, "Curses, foiled again!"

So today when we plugged in and turned on it went right into updating. Updating prevented me from being able to see whether Dragon would load, and that's something I like to know before my aide leaves.

Since I don't wear a watch and I could not see a clock, I had my watch put in front of me so I could time the updating.

It ended up taking about 15 minutes.

Then I logged myself in and opened up Dragon. Then, it would not load my user profile. I clicked it again and I got an error message. Then I got it the second time. It was weird because the Dragon toolbar reverted to the new, modern, black expanding and contracting version which I changed back to "classic". I was flummoxed. What the heck was going on?

Windows 10 let me know that my antivirus software was not enabled. So I opened it up to fix that. Then all of a sudden it enabled itself.

I reopened Dragon and started over by creating a new user profile. I typed in the file's name, went through all the steps, at this time a new voice file was created.

I think my laptop just needed a shut down and restart. But that could not happen..

Invariably, when I have one of these problems with my laptop or its software it occurs while they are getting residents ready for supper. It's the busiest time in the afternoon, especially if they are short staffed – like today. There is no time for an aide to help me with my laptop problems. Crisis management (short staffing management) delegates I have to either fix the software problem myself, or do something else for the next two hours until supper is over.

It makes me wish there was more help. But as long as my laptop is operating I can read which does not require searching. But, if Dragon is not operating it is almost impossible for me to write. I always keep several book PDFs available for these situations. But, checking out Netflix and YouTube would be difficult since I would have to use the touchpad click/type into the search bar. That's a slow and difficult thing for me.

It's also a holiday weekend. And on this Easter weekend, day shift was shortstaffed with just two aides. To me that is a bad situation any weekend, let alone on Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment