Saturday, April 8, 2017

Amazon.com – please make it easier


As I said last night, I thought I had removed some roadblocks from the Amazon system that would allow me to more easily use their Cloud Reader. Unfortunately, I was stymied in the attempt.

Even after my two chat sessions the previous day, I could not click on the link and go directly to Cloud Reader without logging in first. That was a pain. I found it easier to login to Amazon.com than to Cloud Reader. But I could not access my content directly logging in to just Amazon.com.

I had already tried to download my Kindle edition to Kindle for PC and couldn't. So I went to Microsoft Community Forum and posted a question about the Kindle for PC app and how to get it to play nicely with my Windows 10 upgraded laptop. But of course, the answer was not instant.

That's when I went back to chat at Amazon.com. I ended up in a lengthy session with a customer service rep. He kept telling me how easy it was to login. I told him it was not because I had to type an alphanumeric code into a box below my password. He told me I should not have to do that. I told him I did have to or I could not login to Amazon. He said that didn't make sense. I told him he was right, it didn't make sense. He didn't seem to know if it was a system problem or a Windows 10 problem. In fact, I do not even know if he knew what questions to ask.

I thought that I could click on the link to Cloud Reader in a chat session and be able to go there and read. Then, I realized if I was not able to chat without logging in to Amazon.com, I would have to log into either Amazon.com or Cloud Reader to access my content.

I did register a complaint with the customer service rep in said I thought Amazon.com could be a bit more disability user-friendly. I knew I was being timed out trying to login – doing it myself. I could not do it fast enough by voice, or click on the on-screen keyboard quickly enough. I knew if I persisted, I would eventually be able to login. But the whole process is very nerve-racking.

Even though Amazon's customer service rep does not believe I have to login every time I go to Amazon, I do. A few years ago I did not have to, but I do now. Recently, because of login difficulties I had to change my password to see if that would help me login, and it did. I do not like doing that. However I certainly can. But I did not want to do it last night. I was determined to use the password I already have. As it is, I have changed it twice in the last few days.

Almost at the end of my chat session, the customer service rep asked me to bookmark the Cloud Reader. Then, he told me I could just click on it and read away. But I just tried that earlier and it does not work, I needed to login first. I had one of the aides log me into Cloud Reader, even though she was timed out the first time. So I have that window open for when I finish this post, to resume reading. As I said, the only other way is logging into Amazon.com and clicking on the Cloud Reader bookmark which took me to my content last night.

Microsoft Support Community did get back to me about the Kindle for PC app. I was told to run the troubleshooter on the app and it should straighten out. Since I already found a reading solution, I have not yet tried that.

I need to see if Amazon still has a Community Support Forum. I looked earlier today and could not find it. I know I was on it several months ago. I think that would be the appropriate place to suggest that Amazon put disability instructions on their website, so customers can get direct assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment