Sunday, April 9, 2017

Bedtime PRN mishap


Last night my nurse accidentally gave me a PRN Benadryl at bedtime. He had not had my hall for over a week, and the last time he did, I was taking Benadryl. Nevertheless, he should have asked, and didn't. I already had the pill swallowed and it was too late.

I wondered if the nurses and aides wanted to make sure that I would sleep through most of the night, and thought Benadryl would make sure that happened. I had taken it since January 9 because of difficulty sleeping. I stopped it Tuesday, April 4, 2017 because I felt like it was drying my nasal passages and sinuses up way too much. I also felt it was causing increased appetite and causing fluid retention.

I even discussed all of this with the doctor last Wednesday. He told me it's not a good idea to take antihistamines for any longer than a couple of weeks. He said it would be best to stop Benadryl. Maybe I should've had him write that down somewhere, so the nurses could read it.

Sometimes I feel like I have to write the PRNs I want at bedtime on my forehead, to avoid mistakes. Maybe there is some type of writing instrument that I could use to write a note on my forehead without making a huge mess. I suppose I could use lipstick. Although, it would not be that easy to get off without cold cream.

I wonder how funny that would look to a nurse if "no Benadryl" was written on my forehead. Or, if the aides gels listed the PRNs I want. Maybe I should start putting them on a large piece of paper behind my bed. But, somehow, living in long term care should not be that difficult.

I know it's my fault that it happened. I was engrossed in my hometown book and felt interrupted when the nurse came in. Although, I did make a big deal about seeing him, because he'd not given me meds in over a week. I told him I thought he'd been on vacation. But, he said he'd been here all the time, just working on a different hall.

I need to stop and tell the nurse what I want. Since my door is closed, I no longer see their medicine cart which reminds me that I need to ask for specific PRNs.

I wish all the nurses asked me every time what PRNs I want. Some nurses do it, and it's such a comfort. It makes me feel they're paying attention. If they ask, I know they're not just assuming I want the same PRNs I got the night before. I appreciate being asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment