Thursday, April 13, 2017

Sent for a psych eval


Tuesday after breakfast did not go well. While standing to transfer, one of the aides made a comment that upset me. Then I bent and straightened my knees several times (which I should not have done) to show my displeasure. An aide grabbed my waist and sat me on the floor. I told them I was okay and I thought they'd get me up. Instead,  the same aide pulled me onto my back. I had no idea they had decided on this action with me.

I have been sent to ERs for a psych evals maybe 10 times in the 21 years I've lived in nursing homes. I'm usually sent when the nursing director or management feels I'm not complying enough or if, in their view, I am out of control. Sometimes at the ER a psychiatrist or social worker evaluates me..

But after I got to the ER, the doctor did not think I had had a "psychotic break".

I was not crying or screaming. I was just shocked and surprised by what happened.

I told them I did not feel well and felt I should be checked out medically. I also said I felt I might be getting the wrong meds occasionally, but not maliciously.

The paramedics checked my blood sugar level in the squad. It was 120 and they thought it was a bit elevated. But, since it was two hours after breakfast, I was not concerned.

Later, they drew blood, and took urine. My pulse oxygen and vitals were okay. But my temperature was elevated a degree and a half.

I laid there and waited for the test results. Usually at the ER they offer me TV, but this time they didn't.

I laid there and watched the pulse ox reading on the monitor above me. I held my breath and saw it fall. I breathed in deeply several times and saw it rise. It was interesting to see that, even when I did not change my breathing, my pulse ox rose and fell by two points several times.

I ended up seeing a social worker and told her what happened. I explained that weeks long short staffing had caused me and the aides to be stressed. I also said the Department of Health is do any time for the annual survey which always causes the staff anxiety.

I I got there a little after 11 AM and got back around 3:50 pm. At least, the ER got me started with the first dose of the antibiotic for a UTI.

As soon as I got back, I developed symptoms of bronchitis.  My vocal cords swelled and my voice gradually disappeared.

Now I feel worse than before I left. But maybe the UTI was causing me to feel less than myself which led to me being easily frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment