Thursday, April 20, 2017

A little chicken broth not allowed


Yesterday our lunch was a shredded chicken sandwich with the choice of either chicken noodle soup or a salad, dessert was a cookie. I told my aide I wanted the shredded chicken sandwich with a salad. I decided to forgo the chicken noodle soup which has sparse noodles. Usually, my aide adds crackers or bread to the soup to make it easier to feed it to me. Another aide made the comment that we should have been able to have the sandwich, salad, and soup. I agreed but I understand how the dietary department and management might not feel the same.

I have had laryngitis for a week. And though it is improving, my throat is still bothering me and it clogs and I am constantly clearing it. On the way down to lunch, I asked my aide to inquire if after everyone was served whether I could have a half a cup of just the broth from the soup which would help to clear my throat. She said she'd ask.

I got to the dining room and was sitting there waiting for my tray. When K an activity aide brought it, it contained a shredded chicken sandwich on bun, and a bowl of chicken broth. I said to her, "What is this?" She told me I could not have the shredded chicken sandwich with soup and a salad. I said there was nothing in the soup – it was just broth. She said I would have to give up the broth to get the salad.

I asked my aide to ask my nurse if I could have the salad and drink the broth for my throat. I saw my aide standing in the doorway talking to my nurse and the nurse manager. As she talked, I could tell it was not going well. My aide came back and said it did not matter that I wanted chicken broth four my laryngitis.. She said I had to choose between soup or salad.

Reluctantly, I told the activity aide to take the broth back and please bring me the salad. I also asked if I could have lemon or orange Kool-Aid (sugar-free) to go with my meal. I hoped the citrus in it might loosen the congestion in my throat.

Later, I told my nurse it didn't make sense to throw away chicken broth so I did not break the lunch rules. She said she understood how I felt because it did not make sense to her either.




No comments:

Post a Comment