Monday, April 24, 2017

The newbie aide


I'll call him Christopher and he's not new. He's worked here for a few months in housekeeping. I know that seems like a strange fit, at least that's what I thought. But, this company hires men in housekeeping at some of their other facilities in this town. So, it must work out for them. Although, he is the first male housekeeper they've had here since I came.

He is very tall and twenty-four years old. I wondered what he could possibly know about housekeeping. But men are better at it these days then they were in the greatest generation. Particularly, if they have their own place and handle some cooking, laundry and keeping it clean. So I was curious about the whole process and wondered how he's cleaning.. Even though my father didn't usually help, when he did, he was every bit as intense about getting something thoroughly cleaned as my mother.

Christopher does not seem to be like that. He always acts like he's worn out. How can a twenty-four-year-old be so tired? It can't possibly be from the work. It may have something to do with eating junk food and staying up too late. Although, I shouldn't assume.

A month or so ago Christopher told me he was going to take the nurse aide class here. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was. I told him residents like housekeepers better than aides because housekeepers do not tell them what to do. But he said the company needed help here and elsewhere and he wanted to try it out.

He just finished the aide training class on Friday. He said he may have to wait as long as four months to take his STNA (state tested nursing assistant) license test. But, he hopes to take it sooner. I told him that before he takes it he needs to talk with experienced aides who can tell him what new aides usually mess up during testing.

He started yesterday by getting called in to sub for an aide who was sent home for being late. While having him to assist was better than having just two aides, he's not tho dynamo type. But, I never really thought he would be. He is kind and quiet. But he's new and I wonder how long that will last.

One of the aides was glad to have his help yesterday because he does not yet have an attitude. The aide he replaced has one in spades which we deal with all the time. It's amazing how attitude can change the day even when you don't want it to.

My expectations for Christopher are not high. But if he proves me wrong, it won't hurt my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment