Friday, April 7, 2017

Amazon Kindle E-Book Problem


Though I've never had a Kindle, I thought they were cool. But, since I'm disabled, and not good with my hands, I did not think I could operate it. I did love that there was an app that will allow me to read Kindle books on a PC. I knew I could do that.

When I first got this laptop I envisioned myself reading more utilizing it. A year or so later, I purchased my first Kindle edition and downloaded it to Kindle for PC. I'll admit I did it just to prove to myself that I could. I actually found a relevant book for $2.99 which allowed me to experience it. I easily downloaded it to Kindle for PC.

Last year my sister and I decided we would do Family Sharing on Amazon. Then I could read the Kindle e-books she purchases. My sister linked us together, entered by device, and I prepared to share her content. But, when I tried to login to Amazon on my laptop, it failed – time after time. But my laptop would not let me login is Windows seven.

But I could get on Amazon easily on my desktop. It was strange it easier on my desktop with Windows 7, and more difficult on my Windows 10 laptop. I just thought it was a Windows 10 problem. I never did figure it out. I googled it and discovered that many Family Share users were not able to share e-books and other content, as they wanted. I checked out Amazon and it certainly looked like it would work. But I just gave up on it.

Then the book about my hometown came out in February. And, as I wrote in a previous post, since I was unable to get a gratis copy, or PDF of it from the publisher. My sister started the book and urged me to charge a Kindle edition. I purchased it the other night and read to page 42. I know several people who grew up there who have read it. That would give us something to talk about. Even though my sister was late to the book reading party, she's almost finished.

Last night I tried to access my Kindle edition on Amazon, and could not. For 90 minutes I tried everything I could think of to login. One of my aides even tried typing in the code, and that didn't work either.

So I went to Amazon logged in (after changing my password twice) and went to chat. I explained my problem. I said accessing their website and Kindle e-books is not very user-friendly for a disabled person who cannot type rapidly. I said I used speech recognition software and cut and paste to login.

At my second chat, I said I wanted a direct link to their Cloud. They sent the link to to the Cloud Reader in the chat session. Unfortunately, I failed to check the box to email the chat session, and had no way to save it. Using the link, I discovered several Kindle editions my sister loaded onto Family Share a year ago. They were there for me to read, and I was not able to login.

But, I wanted to use Kindle for PC as I had two years ago. I downloaded it,  but could not register it. I downloaded it two more times and deleted it twice. I was never able to to register it.

On my desktop this morning, I went to Amazon chat, explained my problem, and asked if I can access the Cloud Reader through a link. When they said I could, I asked them to send it to me. I clicked on it and it took me there. This time I had selected the box to email me a copy of the chat session. It was great to see my Kindle content on Family Share. Then, the chat session email arrived.

After I finish this, I'm hoping I get to resume reading my hometown book.

No comments:

Post a Comment