Sunday, June 11, 2017

A June heat wave


For over six years I've lived on this north-central Ohio plain and have experienced 90° temperatures in May. But this was not year for that. In May it just got close – 87°.

A week ago 90° temperatures were forecast this weekend. People on vacations are probably thrilled, as are kids eager to head to the pool. But for us residents living in this institutional building, it feels hot and muggy. There is some air-conditioning but it is spotty on hot days. The back dining room gets particularly warm.

Also, on this weekend tho air-conditioning was (as usual) turned up a bit higher. There are fewer staff here and no one in the offices.

Even so, yesterday my window air conditioner kept it comfortable in my room.

A few residents wanted to go outside to eat lunch on the patio. The nurse left them even though they had decided not to do that on particularly warm days. The patio door is open and the warm air comes in the building and freezes up the air conditioner. The dining room was comfortable initially. But by the time I was finished with lunch it was hot. I wanted out of there and wanted to find a cool spot to relax in.

But, I rode up and down the hallways searching for a cooler place and could not find one. In early June, they seldom have a fan blowing in the hallway. There wasn't even a fan at the nurses station.

I saw that the faces of the staff were covered with a veil of perspiration. A few residents looked the same. Even though, many residents take blood thinners, or other drugs that keep them chilly all the time, many were sporting lighter weight clothing.

It's supposed to be warm for several days. Then, a late spring storm should put an end to the 90s for this week anyway.

I never thought I'd miss living in a valley. It's scary there when the thunderstorms go around three times. But, to me, it is much hotter living on the plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment