Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Desktop PC's on the blink


I wish I could say I always liked this desktop. In 2012 I had a local vendor who'd done some work on my Gateway desktop put a new system together for me. I always thought I should have asked more questions.

I ended up getting the computer for probably less then it would've cost me if I had bought it online. It looked like it was going to be okay. I realize now I should've stopped by the computer shop and checked to see what it looked like. I also should have seen for myself (before purchasing it) that it had everything on it I wanted.

But I didn't do that. I first saw it when it was brought here. I was surprised that there were not at least eight front USB ports. I thought it would be easier for the aides to plug and unplug peripheral devices from the front of the desktop PC.

I did not have it very long before I started having power problems. Then the technician had to show me what to do when they happened. I ended up needing to buy a bigger hard drive. After that was installed things seemed to work better.

But I never liked the Mickey Mouse system front port of the front USB modules. There are two USBs on the bottom panel and a mic jack for a headset. Then, there are three up higher in a module with a card reader – which I did not ask for.

For a while after I got a laptop in early 2014, the aides were plugging and unplugging the same headset. Not long after I decided to have a touchpad and headset for each. I was afraid of the wear and tear that was being put on the USB ports. The tower is low on a stand and in order to plug-in the person has to reach down. I know some would pull on the cord to remove the plug instead of reaching down closer and pulling out by the USB connector. But I realize, everything wears out.

Two years ago I started having trouble with the USB ports. I called a tech (the one who put the desktop together) to get an estimate to fix them – or buy new USB modules. He recommended all new front ports and a fee of at least $100. Well, I did not have the money. I asked my sister and told her the ports would just die if I didn't maintain them. I think she thought the tech was trying to get money out of me. Since none seem to be broken completely, it did not get fixed.

Instead, my sister got me a plug-in USB hub. I told her later that I could not use that with my touchpad. The touchpad has to be plugged directly into the USB port without any other devices. A few months later I had trouble again. Since then, I've had trouble with touchpads and headsets I have had to to swap them in and out. It seems like I've bought a lot of touchpads since I got the desktop – less than five year ago.

This past weekend I kept getting messages that there were no drivers for my USB ports. Since I received these before, I know there's little I can do. I went in and made sure all the USB ports were enabled and were not enabled to shut down to save power. Fixing that can sometimes fix the problem.. Other solutions to port problems can involve cutting and pasting code to a notepad in order to change variables in the computer's programming. I decided that was out of my league. I might do something and lock up the desktop. I know that can be change, but NOT easily by me.

I called a tech the other night a couple of blocks away. He says he will come and take a look at it Thursday evening after 7 PM. I told him I'm pretty sure some of the USBs need repaired or replaced.

Yesterday one of the USBs dropped a part. I have the feeling that many of the contacts of the USBs are loose, partially broken, or shorted.

So, I'm using my laptop. But I hope, my speedy desktop is back in action soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment