Monday, June 5, 2017

Pitching a freelance blog idea


Today in my inbox there was notice of a writing contest. It's a website I signed up for when I thought I had lost my freelance logging job in January. I was trying to find something else and needed all the tips I could get.

I signed up for several different things. And I wondered if any of them would ever pan out.

I went to one of those online writers sites and tried to get a writing or editing job. But when I was questioned, I did not have the right answers. No one got back with me and I was discouraged.

So, I've kind of let it drop. I started my own personal blog which is public. Although, I still have no followers. It's really hard to get your name out there. I remember the good old days from 2005 to 2008 when other people read your blogs on blogspot.com. Things must be pretty different now.

Anyway, the freelance blogging pitch request said I could make $100 for a blog or maybe more. But I know they're looking for upbeat blogs that tell freelance writers how to stay positive, stay motivated, and where to look for jobs. I knew the things that pitch had to be. I also knew the things the pitch did not have to be.

I started writing the pitch and at the same time I started writing the blog. They want the blog to be no more than 1000 words. I thought I'd try to use most of the 1000 – thinking maybe I will need them.

I don't even know if I could tell my own blog's story. After all, I'm supposed to be the only paid blogger there. I was told it was against their policy to pay bloggers but that I was the exception. I don't know if I quite believe that.

Nevertheless, I started working on this pitch. The more I wrote, the more interesting I thought my story was. I was trying to be objective and see what it sounded like if I had no idea what I was talking about. It's kind of hard to do when you're writing your own stuff and you live with it every day. But the people reading it will not be me. They will be people with other interests and they will also want to know how I made a modicum of income in the last few years just by leaving comments on a long-term care magazine website.

I had until June 10 to post my pitch to the website. For some reason I thought they would have us email it, or something. But they just wanted it posted in the Comments Section – which I think is weird. But it's probably the safest way to get information. I don't know how open their website is. Obviously I had to give them my name and email address to sign up.

It took me over an hour to get that blog pitch the way I wanted it. I just kept thinking no one may have thought this way. It seems usual to me because I live it. But, other people don't.

Then, I got up the courage to post it. I had to confirm my posting to show that I mean business, or that I am not a robot. I know I'm not a robot.

I feel like I accomplished something today, even though I made no money. That made me realize that money is not the most important thing. Knowing what you want and going after it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment