Thursday, June 29, 2017

No night splints last night either


I was waiting to see how night shift would go with the night splints. But my aides were doubtful about it. I ended up emailing the therapist to tell her I did not think I'd be wearing them.

While the aides' position softened when I was getting ready for bed, they did say they could put the splints on but they would have to take them off before they left. I told them I did not want to be disturbed while I was sleeping. They know I'm a light sleeper and have some sleepless nights. I told them had I known they were going to take them off at 11 PM, I would have tried to go to sleep sooner.

With that, I told them we were not going to put them on, at least not last night.

That made me a bit upset. I laid here for a while thinking about it. That wasn't really doing any good so I tried to just let it go.

I decided that if they gave me the option to wear them for two hours again, I would take it.

I wondered what the therapist would say the next morning.

This morning I was sitting in the dining room waiting for breakfast when the therapist walked in. She asked me how things went. I told her I did not wear the night splints because I did not want to be wakened at 11 PM. I told her I would be willing to be wakened after two hours tonight and I would be ready for it. I did tell her I would like to try to lie down to sleep earlier so I could try to get as much sleep as I could.

I said I would give her no argument. She said okay. I told her we would do the two hours if that's what she wanted and felt most comfortable with.

Then the therapist left. I've heard nothing more about it all day.

When my second shift aides came in this afternoon, one of them told me that if they put the splints on tonight they're supposed to leave them on for eight hours. (This was supposed to be the night that I would have worked up tolerance to maybe wear them for eight hours.) I told them they could do it however they wanted and I would cooperate.

I don't think they knew what to think.

I think nursing homes create too many bureaucratic rules about doing basic things. But, maybe that makes them feel better. It also may be something that's in the regulations.

No one thinks I will wear the splints. The night shift aides say I never will. One of them does not think they will work anyway and wonders why I am trying.

I guess it's really hard to make other people happy. That's why I try so hard to please me, I know I will always be here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment