Friday, June 9, 2017

Desktop PC's front USBs shot


I have had a lot of front USB port trouble  with my desktop PC since it was put together by a local vendor almost five years ago. I thought the front USB ports looked cheaply made. The two desktop PCs I had before were made by Gateway. They seemed to be more stoutly made. I don't think I ever had much trouble with USB ports until the desktop was five years old. I had the one five years and the second one for six, and they both worked well. I never blew USB port.

But this desktop is different. It was less expensive than the Gateway's I purchased. But, in 2012 desktop PCs were less expensive, even so, I think I paid quite a bit for just the tower (with the configuration I wanted) and a 19 inch screen. I bought my own software and the computer tech installed most of it. The software was not figured into the cost of building the PC.. I wish I had asked for the best medium priced USB ports. But, I don't think I felt like I had to stress that.

Those front ports were used for almost everything. For a while I used a headset with mic jacks. But not long after, I switched to a USB headset. That and a touchpad were the peripherals that had to be plugged in. I added a mini keyboard sometime later. I stopped using a keyboard when my adaptive membrane keyboard died. I don't like leaving the big keyboard out. It gets too dusty and I only use Dragon speech recognition software or the on-screen keyboard anyway.

As I said, we used the front USB ports. There are more USBs in the back that could be utilized. But, since the USBs started acting so weird last week, I wanted to have a tech check them out and check out the power to them. This desktop PC has not had to be repaired. A friend cleaned the tower out one year and two years ago a resident friend here cleaned it out. I knew the desktop needed to be checked out..

The tech came last night to pick it up. He told me the USB ports in the front are shot. He said he was surprised that I was able to keep them working this long. I told him I knew they were failing, and that they needed servicing for a while.

I asked him how he fix them. He said I would need either a new CPU case or USB modules to replace the bad ones. I had considered both those options and really don't know which one is best. A new CPU case he admitted would be the quickest way to fix it and guarantee workable USB ports. I had five USBs in the front and probably eight in the back. So far, I have not found a case configured that way. I wonder if he will find one with the right configuration.

The tech told me he would would not get to start desktop until today. Computer tech work is his second job, so it may take him a while.

I hope this (new to me) tech can get me USBs in the front which are sturdy to keep my peripherals going. Losing that desktop PC makes me feel like I've lost part of my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment