Tuesday, June 13, 2017

His moving out – postponed


Duane has been here for a couple of years. When he first came, he was moved in with another new resident who moved in the same day. Duane must not of felt comfortable because he slept in a chair in the hallway for several days. He was very quiet, and I learned he had been homeless. I watched over the succeeding days as he improved, was moved to another room, and finally slept in bed.

Then, a few weeks later Duane started helping in the dining room after meals. He cleaned off tables and picked up trash, and walked the clothing protectors to the laundry. He wanted to do more than that but the nurse manager did not want him to. However, she did realize that allowing him to help made his life better.

One day in the front lobby I thanked Duane for helping. I said what he did helped all the residents. I also said the things he did relieved the aides of a few duties – which they appreciated. He shared that he'd worked as a school janitor. He said part of his job was cleaning up after the kids at lunch time. He said even though some of those kids could make a real mess, he still enjoying his job.

A few months ago Duane told me he had been diagnosed with a type of lymphoma, after a lymph node was removed. I asked if is going to have chemo or radiation and he said he did not know. I told him they were rough but doable – since I have had both for breast cancer twice.

I know he went to see another doctor about his diagnosis. But, he told me he would have to wait for treatment. I wondered if it was too late to treat his cancer and if that worried him.

Duane already has sores on his feet and the nurses bandage them. I know he would frequently get aggravated when they did not bandage them as quickly as he thought they should.. I don't know what causes his sores, maybe circulatory problems. But I do know some days he has difficulty walking.

Because of his health problems I was surprised a few weeks ago when Duane said he was in the process of moving out. His was moving to another town about 50 miles away to his own apartment. He said there was redtape that he had to get through. But I could tell he was pleased with himself because he was working at it. I told him I hoped everything would work out.

Duane at a scheduled move out date, which concerned me. From watching two other residents move out with the assistance of Ohio's government agencies, I know things can sometimes get messed up. Making plans for a resident move is daunting. They need a place to live, furniture, utilities, necessary nursing services, and food. Sometimes details get forgotten. The two residents who eventually moved out didn't get to go on the first date schedule. In one case, the move was postponed two more times. I hated to see each resident get excited to move out, only to be told they had to stay longer. It made me begin to wonder if disappointing a resident was moving out, was part of the program. I thought maybe they wanted to see how the resident adapted to a change in plans.

Duane told me that something essential was forgotten. He needed nursing set up so his bandages could be changed twice a week. Somehow that is not set up yet. I wonder when his next move out date will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment