Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Evening – nursing home – hungry


We had French dip today which is roast beef. It's supposed to have au jus. But I have never have had it here..

It's also never in a sandwich. At my previous nursing home they put it on tasty sub- type buns and the juice was in the little cup – to dip the sandwich. I didn't do that. But it was still there for a little excitement and difference in a meal.

I don't really care much for this roast beef. I just wonder if it's chuck roast. The chuck roast my mother served when I was growing up tasted nothing like this. To me beef today tastes like it's manufactured in a factory, not like it was grown on an animal.

Anyway, we had a little bit of French dip, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a small portion of green beans. The aides ate the same lunch and they said there portions were even smaller. [[But the aides get lunch free. So, I guess they shouldn't complain.]] However, my aide complained anyway.

She said there was not enough beef and potatoes and that the pineapple for dessert was terrible. I tasted a little puréed pineapple from another resident before she ate any, and it was sort of tasteless. But it did not taste bad – in the conventional sense.

So a meal that smelled good did not look good. Then, there wasn't enough of it.

It's almost snack time and I'm planning on eating my tuna salad kit. It is a 3 ounce can of tuna with a pack of mayonnaise, relish, and six crackers. It's all you need to have a snack or lunch of tuna or tuna salad.

At least it will be a bit more protein to add to this day's nutritional balance.

I just had the tuna with mayonnaise on crackers and it was surprisingly good. Part of that may have been that I was able to choose it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment