Monday, June 12, 2017

Having my eyebrows done


I haven't had my eyebrows professionally done in a long time. They don't look that bad and I just have one of the aides trim them about once a month. That's all they really need to look neat and managed.

Though some days I would really like to have some time spent on beautifying myself. It's frustrating that I'm not able to do it myself. But if one of the aides does it for me, it makes me feel better.

This morning I asked my aide if she would trim my eyebrows some. I have a small eyebrows trimmer that I bought. When she tried it she said the blade was not sharp enough to make a clean-cut. So it was kind of cutting up the ends. So she just used scissors to trim them.

This morning she also took the time to thin my eyebrows out some. Having five aides this morning greatly assisted that to happen. There were for a change enough aides to take care of the needs of the residents.

It seemed kind of surreal that I was getting my eyebrows "sort of" done. I've noticed as I age my eyebrows are looking more and more like an old man's. Some are longer and some are wild sticking out every which way. I don't remember that from when I was younger. Of course, I no longer have an eyebrow brush. But I thought it would be nice to see my eyebrows looking better than usual.

After she trimmed them, she pulled out the wild ones to give my eyebrows a better line. No one has done that in quite a while because the aides usually don't have the time

***.

I remember when a female resident named Theda died at my previous nursing home. She was such a nice lady. But I knew she gave a lot of her former life up when she moved to the nursing home.

One of the aides went to see her at the calling hours at the funeral home. She told me she would not have known her. I said that I knew her hair was probably styled for the showing. The residents and staff were used to Theda wearing her hair in a short, curly perm. The aide said Theda's hair had been styled. But she admitted that was not the main thing that changed her appearance. She told me Theda no longer had thick, bushy eyebrows. Her eyebrows had been tweezed which greatly improved her appearance.

***

After I heard that little tale I thought about it for a long time. I'm sure the beautician at the nursing home salon might have been willing to thin out Theda's eyebrows with the trimmers. I wonder if she ever asked. Theda what not have wanted to bother anybody. But, she didn't keep her nails polished, or one of the aides did. Maybe doing her eyebrows was not all that important. Or she might not have felt up to having it done anymore. Theda seemed resigned to living in the nursing home in order not to be a burden on her daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment