Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Hoyer discontinued


After breakfast I was ready for another therapy session of hot packs and stretching of my knees and hips. I was pleased both therapists were here and had said hello to me right after breakfast. That meant we were on schedule and that I might be able to get started on my day at the computer a bit sooner.

When I came to my room to get ready to have therapy transfer me, the therapy manager said the Hoyer lift had been discontinued. I had waited so long to hear that that when she said it I thought maybe I had not heard her correctly. She told me the dayshift aides had agreed to stand me to transfer using a regular gait belt. The therapist said she would train the aides on the other shifts how to transfer me using a gait belt.

I did not say very much. I thought my therapy had ended. But she said I had one more treatment – today's. With that, I got hot pack to my right under thigh and stretching to both hips and knees.

It all seems sort of strange. Both the therapist and therapy assistant told me if I needed anything to ask when I saw them in the hallway. Getting therapy is always an interruption that you have to get used to. But when it ends, it sort of seems like you're losing both a treatment and a friend.

No, the transfer belt did not work and we had to give up on that idea. I was really hoping it would work because I thought the aides would feel more comfortable especially the ones who are shaky lifting me anyway. But it was not to be.

So after lunch, before I went to bed, I was allowed to stand to transfer before I went to the bathroom. It was the most free I have felt in many weeks. The only time I have stood in the last eight weeks is when therapy stood me twice a day. It really didn't seem like much but it helped.

I am glad I no longer have to deal with that large Hoyer lift and its pad which is too big for me anyway. It's great if you need it. But, right now I think I can continue to stand to transfer at least as long as I am strong enough.

It's funny I have wanted to get off that Hoyer for weeks. I thought it would be overjoyed. I guess in the end I was just grateful that therapy wanted to help me stand and that they worked with me until I was allowed to stand without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment