Thursday, September 28, 2017

A night I couldn't sleep


I don't know why there are some nights when I don't sleep, or can't sleep. I can be so very tired at 8:30 p.m., and since this facility is new, I can be wide-awake by the time the aides get me situated to fall asleep. I think it's because I'm not used to the routine here. And sometimes I have to wait a little long for the care that I need. Once I get used to the routine it should be easier.

But last night, I was tired. Second shift didn't get me ready for sleep. I knew they would be out the door at 10 PM, and night shift would have to get me ready.

Though they got me ready pretty quickly, it was after 10 PM. Once I get my second wind, it's hard for me to calm down and sleep.

I got my meds soon after they got me situated. At least I did not have to wait an hour and then be wakened to take them.

One problem was the aides couldn't get my earplugs to stay in. For some reason they're having difficulty rolling and inserting them so they seal properly and block the sound. For some reason, the earplugs are sliding back out. I can sleep with some noise. But sustained loud TV sound makes it difficult for me to sleep. I was aggravated because I could hear more than I wanted to. I so badly wanted quiet.

Before lying down, the air conditioner was making me chilly. I had them turn the AC off, and put it on "fan only" to allow room temperature to warm..

I woke at 2 AM and the room felt so hot. Perspiration was running down my face. I wondered why I felt so warm.

I called the nurse to get rid of the blanket and put the air conditioner back on low. I knew I would eventually get too cold because the low temperature was supposed to be 52°. When the temperature is that low, air conditioning is not usually needed.

My leg splints were causing my right knee to ache which may have caused me to feel warm. I knew there was also some cooler weather coming which could contribute to my aching.

Even after the aides removed my splints, my right leg ached. After the aide adjusted the pillow under my legs after about half an hour my right knee calmed down.

But, soon after I was again too cool. The aide Karen me up again and within several minutes, I was again too hot. Consequently, the nurses and aides were in my room a lot last night.

After a rough night sleeping, I wished I had taken Benadryl to assist me to get to sleep and stay asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment