Saturday, September 30, 2017

A breath of fresh air – weekend aide


Every other weekend has been confusing and mixed up, ever since I came to this nursing home. I knew there had to be a weak aide on that weekend. That situation made it much more difficult for the other aides and the residents.

This weekend the best, and only male aide is scheduled. Though he does a good job, he can frequently is temperamental.

So I was a little leery about this morning. That is, until a new aide walked in with a big smile on her face. She said hello and gave me her name. Most new aides don't do that, so I was impressed.

I'm used to aides being all thumbs on their first day. Also, some nursing homes do not let orientating aides do much, or, should I say most newly hired aides stand back and don't step forward and help.

But this new aide got pulled right into what was going on and she just did her job. She did not ask a lot of questions or expect things to be explained to her. She just did as the aide who was training her told her.

That made or a much better day for the aides, and it made for a better day for me. It was nice to talk to an aide in a pleasant mood who usually had a smile.

The new aide explained to me that she would be working twelve hour day shifts, 6 AM to 6 PM on weekends only. She said she has three children and if she works weekends, and her husband is at home to take care of the children.

I liked it because she paid attention. I just have the feeling that's the way she is naturally. Some aides try to depersonalize their work by being detached from their residents.

I'm hoping this aide will like her weekend job and stay for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment