Tuesday, September 5, 2017

An unscheduled hair cleaning


My morning care routine is laborious for the aides at this facility. Because I'm not on the shower list, I want them to give me a thorough wash up every morning. I had the same male aide three days in a row. But each of the other days I had a different aide. It's very hard to train a different aide every day.

Management is starting to give me a complex commenting about how long it takes their aides to get me ready in the morning. But I'm trying to hang in and just explain how my life runs. I tried to explain to these aides that the aides at my previous nursing home had me hurry my morning routine to be on time for breakfast.

When I got to that previous facility, I was hurried to get through a.m. care and to breakfast.. Then, they decided to do my wash up on night shift at 4 AM. Night shift did my a.m. care: whether a shower or a wash up until 2013. I no longer wanted to get up that early. I was having difficulty functioning throughout the day. They moved me to dayshift showers and wash ups. Two years later they asked if I would go back to night shift doing my showers and wash ups. But I wanted to state with the dayshift aides.

This morning my wash up was slow because my seven month's pregnant aide had difficulty moving. She's already limited lifting certain ways. I felt badly that she had to do me this morning. She tried to as well as she could, but she couldn't shortcut.

I told her my hair hadn't been washed since the day I moved in. I said I turned down an outing with a friend because my hair was not clean enough to go out. Even if I'd said something, I doubt with the Labor Day weekend, if I would have been put on the shower list.

My aide empathized with my itchy scalp and dilapidated hairdo. She said she imagined it was probably driving me crazy. She said she might have time later to clean my hair when I was in bed. But, I told her I would not be back in bed for several hours.

I was shocked after breakfast when she offered to clean my hair. I think she was going to use my baby shampoo. I told her I had shampoo that doesn't require rinsing. At first she thought it was too runny. But, I explained how to use it and soon she saw how it worked. Adding water, allowed her to lather it and clean it well. Then, she just towel and dried it.

She said my hair curled up nicely and was lying down like it should. She put a bit of mousse in it, and it stayed in place.

I talked to the shower aide about scheduling. But, she had little to say. She just said if I'm a Monday, Wednesday, Friday shower, she won't be doing my Monday showers because of other duties she has.

I still don't understand why it takes so long to get my shower scheduled after a resident moves into a nursing home.

This is my third nursing home and it looks like it will take just as long to get on the shower schedule as it did at the previous two.

No comments:

Post a Comment