Thursday, September 14, 2017

Closer to a regular routine


At this facility the nurses let the aides arrange how things will be done with residents and their care. That's good, because the aides do most of the care. But, as a new resident, I had no idea how things are done and I was confused.

To me, it's hard being an interloper in a new to me nursing home with a different way of doing things. I don't want to assert my routine on the existing staff. But, do think there should be a way for them to accommodate.

I've only been here two weeks and it's been difficult getting into the flow. I told them what I thought they might do so that night shift and afternoon shift through some of my care. I said I could get up on night shift. That way I would be ready when the dayshift aides get here sometime after 6 AM. I knew would take time to work it out.

This morning my third twice weekly shower was scheduled. The shower aide said she would be in at 6 AM. Unfortunately, I fell asleep last night and the night shift nurse was late bringing in my meds. Since he had to wake me to give me medicine, I forgot to ask him what time I would be getting up in the morning.

The nurse brought my suppositories at 6:15 a.m. I was told they would be getting me up in 30 minutes. I wondered how true they would stick to that. I know it's difficult here to schedule exactly.

But they did get me up before 7 AM and got me into the bathroom. When I was finished, they took me to the shower. The shower aide and my aide worked together doing my shower.

They brought me back here and both of them helped to get me dressed, and do my hair. I almost made it to breakfast. Maybe after a couple of more shower days, I'll be able to.

I think we may have an idea now of how things were done at my previous nursing home.

I even managed to get weighed this morning. I was surprised that my weight was down maybe four pounds.

Since they serve more and better food here, I thought maybe I would have gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment