Friday, September 15, 2017

Another Friday, another outing


Last week a few of us residents went to a Walmart about fifteen miles away and were gone about two hours. Each of the residents got to look for something they wanted to purchase. There were only five of us on the outing. But it was nice not to have to worry about someone misbehaving in the middle I bit. I also enjoyed not feeling like a quasi-prisoner who had to keep facing front.

Today I was asked if I wanted to go to a nearby community festival. I wasn't really that interested but to get different food, I thought it was okay. I told the admissions coordinator that I would do my best to go along

For once, I got set up on the desktop. The nurse was very late with my meds because they had very mixed up morning with my hall's nurse calling out.

I also got to finally sign my admissions paperwork. I had to borrow a cheap ink pen from the occupational therapist so I could do it. But at least, I was able to make my own scratchings on the forms, designating my own writing.

They did offer us lunch before we left. I decided to eat it because it would keep me from craving the festival's junk food as soon as I got there.

After lunch, it took me a while to locate two aides to help me with a bathroom break before I left.

I was the last one to load on the bus before our fifteen minute trip to the street festival. All the residents got something to eat. The 106-year-old female resident got a fish sandwich which she said was too large. She also ate French fries that the activity director purchased. Another female resident bought a steak sandwich which she brought back with her. Two other male residents had French fries, and one also had an ice cream cone.

I decided to get a small hot fudge sundae. At this festival, a small hot fudge sundae were $4. I was shocked but I did enjoy it.

Then, the aide and chaplain who drives the bus got some fried Oreos. He asked me if I wanted to try one and I surprised myself and agreed.  It wasn't what I expected and it was kind of good. Even though I think eating such crazy food can't be good for me.

With that, we headed back and when we arrived we been gone two and half hours.

It was a warm day. There was enough sun to tan or burn, But sunscreen staved that off.

I was really tired when I got back. It was a different kind of fatigue – the happy, satisfied kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment