Saturday, September 9, 2017

Another problematic morning


I hope this isn't a pattern. Although, this is a weekend when short staffing in nursing homes is notorious. At my previous one, it happened almost every weekend. But, at least, they knew how to take care of me.

This morning and night shift nurse was running late. I didn't get my suppositories until 6:55 A.M. That usually presents a problem for dayshift nursing home aides. When they get to work they need to get started somewhere, since they could not start with me, they started somewhere else.

The odd thing is the male nurse said he would be down at 7:30 a.m. He is a big guy and could've easily stood me while one other aide or nurse put the shower chair under me. Then, I would've been transferred. I wonder why that didn't happen.

Instead, every few minutes I said into the nursery monitor (my only call light) that I needed to get up to go to the bathroom. I know I said it every five minutes for almost an hour.

No one can ever appreciate how hard it is to hold laxative suppositories for an hour. But I tried with all my might.

Right before 8:00 AM, I lost the battle, and my diaper was soiled again. I was very upset that I was forced into such a situation. To me, it is almost abuse when you're in a nursing home. After all, I do not have uncontrollable diarrhea all the time. It would be different if I did.

I still continued to ask for help. When the aides did come in, I told them I had had an accident because they were running late. One of them looked at me kind of incredulously.

I cried while they cleaned me up feeling very ashamed and undignified.

Then I was put in the bathroom.

I sat there for probably another 30 minutes. A different aide fed me my breakfast. I went back to the bathroom, and eventually was washed up.

It was almost 11 AM before my hair was combed and moisturizer was on my face for the day. I have no idea why it has to take them so long.

I talked with the weekend manager today. She said I need a lot of care. I told her I know that. I also told her at my previous facility, the aides had my routine DOWN.

Right now, I wish I was back there where I know an aide would fix my lap tray. As it is, it's difficult for me to reach right now.

I wonder when the aides or nurses here will learn to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment