Monday, May 8, 2017

An annual breast ultrasound – 14 months later


I wrote here previously that I did not know if I would get a left breast ultrasound in 2017. It seems an ultrasound is not considered a very good breast cancer screening tool. However, it is the easiest one for me to undergo. And after waiting for an additional two months, I finally got my annual one.

When I went into the ultrasound room, it looked like a new machine. The screen was larger and everything about it seemed different. I had to park backwards where they were sure I would not see anything on the screens. (Not that I know what I'm looking at anyway.)

The tech told me they would be scanning my right chest where I've had a mastectomy and lymph nodes under my right arm, and I told her okay. I think that was last done in early 2014.

The right chest ultrasound took no time. But the left breast took longer. It also seemed like she was going over the same spot. When she finished, she told me she would have to go talk to the radiologist.

I was asked to wait until she returned. A few minutes later she came in with the radiologist. I knew that meant they had seen something. She ran the ultrasound wand over my left breast while the radiologist watched. They had a brief discussion about what they observed and he left. The technician said I was finished and a report would be sent to my doctor. My aide got me dressed and we left.

I never asked them what they might have been concerned about. I guess maybe I should have. But I didn't. I thought maybe they were talking about some technical thing or some different type of tissue that they were looking at. I thought maybe because I'm 68, there might have been some type of calcification. I had no idea what they were talking about. But, I thought if I need to know, I would be told.

I returned glad to have it over for another year. But when I called my sister to tell her, she wondered why I had not asked about it. I told her if it was important, I will be know about it soon enough.

I still like the old phrase about "not borrowing trouble".

No comments:

Post a Comment