Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Med increase – I was told about


This morning my nurse was finished passing medicine pretty early. I went up to the nurses station after breakfast to get mine.

It took Hilda (the name I'm giving her) quite a while to get to me. I wondered what the heck was going on. I thought maybe I was out of a medicine.

All of a sudden Hilda walked up and said she needed to tell me something. She said the night shift nurse told her that my Tylenol had been increased at bedtime from two regular strength to two extra strength. She said I was to get that 1000 mg of Tylenol twice a day. I have to say she really surprised me.

I told her I did not want to take that much Tylenol. I told her I used to take more when I first came here. But I said, as she already knows, I no longer want to take that much. I asked her if I could refuse it and she said I could. She told me about it because it was scheduled, she would have just given it to me. I asked why the dosage was changed and why I was not told. She said the pharmacy changed it because they do not want residents taking too many PRNs (as needed, when requested) meds.

As I asked a couple more questions, the social services nurse came by. She heard the conversation and said that I asked for a lot of PRN meds and pharmacy wants to eliminate that. It may have something to do with stocking the proper amount of medicine. But, I do not think they order Tylenol and other OTC pain relievers from the pharmacy, although they might. I was shown a medicine sheet that showed several check offs of PRN requests for regular strength Tylenol and ibuprofen. But, since I usually only get two PRNs a day I don't think that's a lot.

I thanked Hilda for telling me and rode up the hall to think about it. I realized maybe they just wanted me to designate what I wanted to be given at 4 PM and at bedtime. So I went back and asked if I could have a regular strength ibuprofen scheduled for 4 PM, and a regular strength Tylenol and ibuprofen scheduled for bedtime. She said that could be done, and she would make the call to change it. I'm sure that will require a call to the nurse practitioner or the doctor.

As I was writing this, a thought came to me. The aides take Tylenol and ibuprofen liberally. I don't know if the facility buys it for them or if it comes out of the resident Tylenol and ibuprofen. I would certainly hope the facility is buying it for employees. But, that may not be the case. I would certainly hope that no one would fudge the books to make it look like I asked for more PRNs than I actually get.

I can never quite understand employees who do not bring their own over-the-counter meds to work with them. Why do they expect their employer to provide it? But, if they are taking it, I hope they're taking the over-the-counter meds provided for them – not making off with them when nobody's looking..

At lunchtime Hilda approached me in the dining room. She told me the regular strength ibuprofen had been ordered at 4 PM and that a regular strength ibuprofen and a regular strength Tylenol were scheduled for bedtime. I was glad it was worked out.

I hope I won't have to be concerned about somebody making the decision to up my pain relievers without telling me soon again.

No comments:

Post a Comment