Thursday, May 18, 2017

Seeing the podiatrist OVER 14 weeks later


I last saw the podiatrist (who visits the nursing home) on February 1. He told me back then he could only cut my toenails every nine weeks because that's when Medicaid would reimburse him. I thought that was kind of arbitrary – and an awfully long time to go without a toenail trim. I also knew I've never let them grow that long.

The podiatrist came in late April, approximately eight weeks since I had seen him. I asked if the podiatrist would cut my toenails since it had been over two months. Since my name was not on the list, I was told I would have to wait until his next visit. I knew from a friend that Medicaid only pays for her 90-year-old diabetic mother to have a podiatrist cut her toenails every 12 weeks. I realize then I might have to wait longer than nine weeks to get them cut.

By the end of April my toenails were long. They grow 1.6 mm a month, and after two months they had grown 3.2 mm. For me, who always likes my toenails the same length, I felt like an eagle with talons.

I asked when the podiatrist would visit again, and no one seemed to know. I know someone arranged the podiatrist visits and I knew, even if the podiatrist did, someone here at the nursing home knew the schedule.

Since I had no idea when the podiatrist would visit my nails were long and bothering me, I asked if a nurse could do it. The nurse who usually trimmed them said she wouldn't because she felt any nurse could trim them.. After all, I am not diabetic.

Roberta/nurse manager said they would be cut, but could not get a nurse to say she would.  All of a sudden on May 2, a male nurse who's been here over a year came in and said he would cut my toenails. I was shocked! I asked him if he was sure he wanted to trim them. He assured me he did. Then he trimmed them and did a really good job. I complemented him and emailed the nurse manager telling her how pleased I was. I wondered if he would trim them every six weeks or so for me. That's not as often as I would like, but I will give a little to get a little.

Today I was in the dining room and I was told we residents needed to leave so it could be cleaned because the podiatrist was coming. I was told to see him since I had not seen him since February 1. But, I said my toenails were cut just a little over two weeks ago. I knew that the podiatrist would not cut them again, after them being cut a little over two weeks ago.. I explained that I have to wait 9 to 12 week so that Medicaid will reimburse him for it. I also said I did not have the funds to pay him.

But, the aides said I was always refusing to see the podiatrist. They felt I was being uncooperative. So, I agreed to see him and waited probably 45 minutes in the front lobby waiting.

I let all the older residents, those who are heavily medicated, and the anxious ones go first. I would not try to ditch the line, because I hate that, and I would not purposefully do it to someone else.

Finally, the podiatrist called my name. I told him the aides wanted him to check my toenails which were cut about two weeks ago. He pulled my shoe off, felt my toenails through my stocking and said it was not a medical necessity for them to be cut and he didn't.

So I left, and told both nurses what podiatrist told me.

I also talked to the director of nursing. She told me if I do not want to see the podiatrist, I do not have to. I told her I went because the aides said I refuse all the time and felt I was not being cooperative.

Maybe someday they will be a better system where maybe a retired nurse practitioner can cut nursing home resident's toenails. That way there would be less cost to Medicaid and the nurse practitioners would give better service and maybe cut toenails every 10 weeks instead of every 14 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment