Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Another Hoyer day


They lifted me with the Hoyer out of bed this morning like they have been. I may have been a bit straighter. Perhaps some of the aides have thought about what I have said about being crooked.

I just decided to go with the Hoyer and give up protesting. If they do not help me, there's not much I can do anyway. But, maybe if I'm quiet, they will decide to do it because I'm not giving them trouble. They get so defensive about everything. But it would be difficult to work here and have to see many of the things they see multiple times every day with residents.

After breakfast care, Ms. L/therapist and Alex/PT assistant assisted me to stand and transfer to the shower chair. I was certainly more comfortable standing to get into it.

Ms. L wanted to know how I was feeling earlier and I put my stoic face on. There's not much she can do with the big boss gone. So I decided just to put up with it. I can understand why captives have Stockholm syndrome and develop a relationship with the person who has kidnapped them. There isn't much else they can do to get free, and making their present more comfortable is better. I went with that thought today.

After a bathroom break Ms. L/therapist and Alex/PT assistant assisted me to stand and transfer back to my power chair. Alex put heat on my hip, thigh and knee. I felt my leg relax instantly.

Then Alex did some exercises. But he is strong and was really bending my knee and stretching my hip and thigh. I told him while it felt like I was stretching really well right then, I did not want to be in pain later. So I suggested he ease up some, which he did.

Previously, Ms. L/therapist asked me how things were going. I told her I suppose we could come up with some type of intervention plan for me to determine whether I am having a meltdown. I told her the only problem is a previous one I had stated in its preface that the aides and nurses had to make sure that my needs were met. In other words, they could not call "behavior" if I was upset because I could not get to the bathroom quick enough. She nodded knowingly. I said I can draw up a plan which is similar to that. I wonder if nursing management and everyone down the line would be interested.

We had a brief discussion about "behaviors". I told her I think everything gets blamed on "behaviors". I told her everything is not a behavior. For some things there is cause and effect. We also chatted about nurses and aides having behaviors – sometimes worse than residents they care for.

I feel the aides want assurances that I will not bend and straighten my knees when I'm frustrated or achy while standing. I want them to treat me with respect and honor my needs.

Perhaps I could work it out so we can come to an agreement. There must be a way that both they and me can get most of what we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment