Monday, May 1, 2017

What is abuse?


That is a good question. Do I know what abuse is? Does anyone?

Neglect or abuse starts anytime an employee of a nursing home makes it more difficult for me to get care. Unless I'm given a very good reason why some normal care procedure of mine has to be changed. I am not in favor of what has been decided.

This nursing home has been very difficult to live in this year. I wonder if it's because we have a Republican president  I have not read the Trump administration's plans for long-term care. They may recommend fewer rules and regulations and more inspections. Owners and managers would not look on more inspections fondly.

Last Wednesday when I bent and straightened my knees twice during a transfer, I was told I now have to be transferred with a Hoyer exclusively – which complicated my life.

Over the weekend the rules were a bit more lax. I was able to get up and go to the dining room two days in a row. I was not required to put on slacks because it takes an extra step in each transfer which requires toileting. I should be dressed with slacks on and I know that. But, I got a dispensation, that allowed the weekend to work better. However, that went away today

Instead, because I was not in the dining room by 8 AM, I was required to stay in my room. The Hoyer did not lift me out of bed until 7:05 a.m. So, I could do little to hurry the progress. When my aide set me by the call light while I was in the shower chair, she said she would return with my breakfast after she finished working the dining room where the other residents (and usually I) eat.

Another aide opened my door at 8:50 a.m. to say that my aide would bring breakfast soon. Ten minutes later, at 9:10 a.m. I put the call light on. My aide did not come in my room until 9:30 a.m.

I ate a piece of toast with peanut butter for breakfast and drank two cups of tea. That was it.

Then my aide (going at a snail's pace) did the rest of my care, brushing my teeth, combing my hair, etc.

By the time she finished and the other two aides could assist with the Hoyer transfer, it was 11:03 a.m. I had been sitting in that shower chair for 3 hours and 58 minutes.

That's a long time to sit on plastic. I certainly hope that was an accident. I certainly DO NOT want to experience that again, unless there's a pretty good explanation as to why I have to.

I know what happened today is definitely neglect and probably abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment